Advice for Astronaut Career

apollo13

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking about it...even though I'm only 10...I wanna take a course in Astrophysics, and here is the Astronaut Application

Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements before submitting an application.

Applicants may meet the minimum requirements in one of two ways:

ASTRONAUT CANDIDATE (NON-PILOTING BACKGROUND):

1. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in engineering, biological science, physical science, or mathematics. Quality of academic preparation is important. Degree must be followed by at least 3 years of related, progressively responsible, professional experience. An advanced degree is desirable and may be substituted for experience as follows: master’s degree = 1 year of experience, doctoral degree = 3 years of experience. Teaching experience, including experience at the K - 12 levels, is considered to be qualifying experience for the Astronaut Candidate position; therefore, educators are encouraged to apply.

2. Ability to pass the NASA long-duration space flight physical, which includes the following specific requirements:

Distant visual acuity: Must be correctable to 20/20, each eye

(NOTE: For those applicants under final consideration, additional visual screening will be performed to include the following standards: refractive error (distant vision)-cycloplegic refractive error must be between +5.50 and -5.50 diopters in any meridian. Astigmatism may require up to 3.00 diopters of cylinder correction. Anisometropia of up to 3.50 diopters. You are NOT required to provide this information with your initial application. We will request it later if needed.)

Near visual acuity: Must be correctable to 20/20, each eye

The refractive surgical procedures of the eye, PRK and LASIK, are now allowed, providing at least 1 year has passed since the date of the procedure with no permanent adverse after effects. For those applicants under final consideration, an operative report on the surgical procedure will be requested.

Blood pressure not to exceed 140/90 measured in a sitting position

Standing height between 62 and 75 inches

ASTRONAUT CANDIDATE (PILOTING BACKGROUND):

1. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in engineering, biological science, physical science or mathematics. An advanced degree is desirable. Quality of academic preparation is important.

2. At least 1,000 hours pilot-in-command time in jet aircraft. Flight test experience is highly desirable.

3. Ability to pass the NASA long-duration space flight physical which includes the following specific requirements:

Distant visual acuity: Must be correctable to 20/20, each eye

(NOTE: For those applicants under final consideration, additional visual screening will be performed to include the following standards: refractive error (distant vision)-cycloplegic refractive error must be between +3.50 and -4.00 diopters in any meridian. Astigmatism may require up to 2.00 diopters of cylinder correction. Anisometropia of up to 2.50 diopters. You are NOT required to provide this information with your initial application. We will request it later if needed.)

Near visual acuity: Must be correctable to 20/20, each eye

The refractive surgical procedures of the eye, PRK and LASIK, are now allowed, providing at least 1 year has passed since the date of the procedure with no permanent adverse after effects. For those applicants under final consideration, an operative report on the surgical procedure will be requested.

Blood pressure not to exceed 140/90 measured in a sitting position

Standing height between 62 and 75 inches.

Notes on Academic Requirements:

Applicants for the Astronaut Candidate Program must meet the basic education requirements for NASA engineering and scientific positions—specifically: successful completion of standard professional curriculum in an accredited college or university leading to at least a bachelor’s degree with major study in an appropriate field of engineering, biological science, physical science, or mathematics.

The following degree fields are not considered qualifying:
--Degrees in Technology (Engineering Technology, Aviation Technology, Medical Technology, etc.)
--Degrees in Psychology (except for Clinical Psychology, Physiological Psychology, or Experimental Psychology, which are qualifying)
--Degrees in Nursing
--Degrees in Exercise Physiology or similar fields
--Degrees in Social Sciences (Geography, Anthropology, Archaeology, etc.)
--Degrees in Aviation, Aviation Management, or similar fields

HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Top Applicants will be evaluated by an Astronaut Rating Panel based on the academic and experience qualification requirements stated in this announcement. Eligible candidates will be placed in qualified and highly-qualified categories. Highly-qualified applicants will be evaluated by an Astronaut Selection Board based on the academic and experience qualification requirements and suitability inquiries. Best qualified applicants will be interviewed. The finalists will be referred to the appropriate official who will recommend selection.

Is astrophysics a good course for future astronauts?

bujin

Reaction score
Is astrophysics a good course for future astronauts?

It hasn't exactly done me any favours... ;)

Astrophysics is a very good course though. Just make sure your maths is up to scratch as some of the maths involved is very difficult to get to grips with!

Sigursæll

Reaction score
I've already figured I'm not going to fly to space until private spaceflight companies start offering suborbital shots for less than what I could earn in 5 years, but I'm currently studying aerospace engineering. Far from guaranteeing you a seat on a Shuttle/Orion, but at least you can enter the spaceflight industry without much trouble with it.