Challenge Aldrin Cycler - Mars rendezvous

Keithth G

Reaction score
As part of development of an Aldrin Cycler trajectory (see http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=36763), I've cobbled together this simple 'challenge' to illustrate use of an Aldrin Cycler.

The scenario is quite simple: The Aldrin Cycler (that looks suspiciously like the ISS) is currently three days out from Mars rendezvous and approximately 100 days since its last Earth encounter. At the last Earth encounter, a Delta-Glider docked with the Cycler for transport to Mars. In addition. a second Delta Glider is now at Olympus Base ready for take-off. The scenario challenge is to land the first Delta-Glider currently docked at the ISS and land it at Olympus Base; and to dock the second Delta Glider currently at Olympus Base with the Aldrin Cycler.

The trajectory that the Cycler takes in this scenario is a 'real' Cycler trajectory - based on the trajectory design set out in http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=36763.

Although this challenge isn't excessively difficult, the hyperbolic trajectory of the Cycler makes this activity somewhat more interesting than the standard Earth-centric ISS rendezvous, docking and de-orbit tasks.

Last edited:

flytandem

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.flytandem.com
Thanks. I hadn't touched orbiter in 3 years so I was rusty. Saw this scenario and couldn't resist. Took a while even to figure out how to turn the engine on and off. Not as efficient as I would have liked but did dock within a couple hours after the station passed Pe at Mars. Thanks for the fun scenario.:thumbup:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. I hadn't touched orbiter in 3 years so I was rusty. Saw this scenario and couldn't resist. Took a while even to figure out how to turn the engine on and off. Not as efficient as I would have liked but did dock within a couple hours after the station passed Pe at Mars. Thanks for the fun scenario.:thumbup:

Funny seeing you here, we were just talking about you over in the random comments thread, wondering where some of the old-timers had been off to! :cheers:

Keithth G

Reaction score
.....but did dock within a couple hours after the station passed Pe at Mars

Yes, I managed to do much the same. While doing it, I couldn't help but be reminded of "The Martian". In the film, at least, they manage a rendezvous of the MAV with the "Hermes" close to periapsis with an approach speed of circa 10 m/s and a closest approach of around 100 m.

The 'advanced' version of this challenge is to replicate that trick.

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Thanks for this interesting scenario! I hope other scenarios will follow to see all sights of the new Orbiter 2016 :)

You could add a little more description, either in the scenario file or in a text file.
I ended up lithobraking the incoming DG because trying too much to find out the orbit inclination of the cycler in relation to Mars. Could finally dock to the cycler after a long chase with only 600 kg fuel remaining.

For those trying: The cycler passes over the Martian surface approximately from West to East, in the ecliptic plane. So taking off with the DG-1 due East (90°) brings you into a good parking orbit to start with.

Last edited: