Question Aliens...Do you think they exist?

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Whatever they are, I sure hope they're not like the Enterprise-D crew. I cannot bear the idea of an alien Wesley Crusher. One is more than enough.

The horror. The horror.

Ragtag

Reaction score
Why do they want conquest? Why do they want to colonise here?
They have spent enormous resources to get here and I for one would not think it was just for a how ya doing meet and greet. What are they going to do? Say hi and the go back home? That thought is more Start Trek as far as I'm concerned.

Woah there... rape is forcing sexual activity upon someone against their will.
They've been abducted. How is that not against their will? Rape is an act of violence not of sex. So getting a broomstick up your backside while being held down by other inmates or a probe of some kind while being held down by aliens is still rape. There are numerous accounts of woman being impregnated or men having sperm removed. This is against their will and could be considered sexual by many people.

Torture is similar; the intentional causing of pain on a subject.
One person's torture is not another person's. With all the examinations over the years I would have suspected that they would understand the screams as pain or at least fright. To intentionally continue to conduct such examinations without regard to the subject is in my opinion a form of intentional torture. Like you say we tranquillize the lion but they make no such allowance for us.

That is another possibility, but it raises a lot of particularly tricky questions. How do you invent fire underwater? How do you smelt metals?
Volcanic vents and metals found naturally. They may also create chemical heat or have biotechnology.

Earth then, is actually a pretty good choice.
Maybe but maybe not enough water because of the land masses or maybe too deep or not deep enough. There could be lots of reasons that the Earth with it's water may not be considered a good habitat for them. Maybe it's too salty. Who knows. I was only giving some examples of way aliens may not leave their own wold even though technologically advanced.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
it's more likly they would be greeting us with conquest or colonization

Actually, if there's an interstellar civilization that we don't see any traces of and is about to come into contact with us, the most probable outcome for us I can think of is death by indifference - the same thing each one of us inflicts on thousands of microorganisms every second. Computationally optimizing the matter of our solar system while taking care to preserve our sentience on whatever substrate they're using is a distant second, since it assumes us being recognised as sentient, and being worth the matter-energy expense to preserve by whatever utility function the ET is using.

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

One person's torture is not another person's. With all the examinations over the years I would have suspected that they would understand the screams as pain or at least fright.

People have been cutting live squid for food and science for centuries, and we still can't agree whether they're in pain or just signalling distress out of instinct.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
perhaps they have great technologies but live underwater.
Impossible, water is not a suitable place for one to build metals, run fires, and using electronic devices. You may end up killing yourself in the process.

What is comes down to is people that think aliens are morally and technologically superior and would do us no harm or those of us like Stephen Hawking who thinks otherwise.
There is a good chance that they wouldnt do us harm probably because they will be divided among their decision to kill us off. As far as were concerned they could have xenan rights groups, or the animals rights groups, or celebrity xenanxarians, or they could have xenes who worship the weird bipedal aliens on the blue planet. :rofl:

We have only one race to base our understanding of exploration on and that is the human race.
We also have monkeys, dolphins, elephants, birds, octopuses, and worms. They all were fairly decent competitors in the race to civilizations.

Mind you, it might even be a blessing. Imagine the fun if we contact an alien civilization and they offer us slaves as a token of goodwill...
Those alien slaves may run rampant trough the streets and may spread some sort of alien STD or they may just reproduce so fast that they can double their populace within days.

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
They have spent enormous resources to get here and I for one would not think it was just for a how ya doing meet and greet. What are they going to do? Say hi and the go back home? That thought is more Start Trek as far as I'm concerned.

It isn't like the Apollo mission had the aim to perform conquest on the lunar surface...

They've been abducted. How is that not against their will? Rape is an act of violence not of sex. So getting a broomstick up your backside while being held down by other inmates or a probe of some kind while being held down by aliens is still rape. There are numerous accounts of woman being impregnated or men having sperm removed.

I never said it was not against their will, but that it was not intended as a sexual attack or power play. Rape is intentionally sexual, this is not (depends on the abduction account though).

This is against their will and could be considered sexual by many people.

Indeed it could, and I agree the issue is definitely not clear-cut. But; would you consider for example artificial fertilisation occuring between two gametes in a laboratory, to be sexual?

It is in that same area of biology, yet few people would consider it sex-related.

It just so happens that humans make everything involving the genitals, or any erogenous zone or even the entire body into something sexual. Maybe it's a cultural thing, or maybe that's just the way we work... but an alien species need not have any such attitude, at least regarding a totally dissimilar alien organism.

One person's torture is not another person's. With all the examinations over the years I would have suspected that they would understand the screams as pain or at least fright. To intentionally continue to conduct such examinations without regard to the subject is in my opinion a form of intentional torture. Like you say we tranquillize the lion but they make no such allowance for us.

Just because the lion is tranquillised does not mean the event is not traumatic for it. Animals are often evidently stressed in research situations and people don't prevent the fact, though they may try to lessen stress as much as is possible or practical.

Also: painful procedures are regularly done on humans by other humans, yet in many cases little or nothing is done about pain. What about male circumcision? It is ubiquitous in many developed nations yet is still seen as acceptable despite the pain it might cause the subject.

That said, there is really overwhelming evidence that the abduction phenomenon is psychological, rather than physical... its often disturbing or terrifying nature may too be an indicator of this.

Volcanic vents and metals found naturally. They may also create chemical heat or have biotechnology.

Volcanic vents and chemical heat sources can't really replace fire, naturally elemental metals can't do everything, and biotechnology has a huge number of limitations. It does become a real science fiction cliche though.

I was only giving some examples of way aliens may not leave their own wold even though technologically advanced.

Fair point. I suppose you could currently include humans in that classification as well.

Actually, if there's an interstellar civilization that we don't see any traces of and is about to come into contact with us, the most probable outcome for us I can think of is death by indifference - the same thing each one of us inflicts on thousands of microorganisms every second. Computationally optimizing the matter of our solar system while taking care to preserve our sentience on whatever substrate they're using is a distant second, since it assumes us being recognised as sentient, and being worth the matter-energy expense to preserve by whatever utility function the ET is using.

Great, we've come full circle from Star Trek. :facepalm:

Ragtag

Reaction score
People have been cutting live squid for food and science for centuries, and we still can't agree whether they're in pain or just signalling distress out of instinct.
I know and agree with your premiss which is why I say the aliens are so dangerous. If they are flying spacecraft they cannot have any excuse that they don't see us as technological especially when viewed against all the other creatures on Earth. A machine is a machine and we would most likely recognize a machine even if alien. The fact that the people getting abducted can describe a lot of machinery being used by the aliens. They also breath or appear to be comfortable in our environment which says that the aliens are more like us than we may think. So why the hundreds if not thousands of exams over so many years? You would think that they would have a clue that they are harming the people. If not then they really aren't very bright despite their ability to travel here or they do not care about harming us or other lifeforms which makes them hostile to us.

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So why the hundreds if not thousands of exams over so many years?

Because apparently humans have an ingrained psychological fetish for being abducted and drugged, having their orifices violated, and being hybridised by evil entities.

Ragtag

Reaction score
It isn't like the Apollo mission had the aim to perform conquest on the lunar surface...
Are you sure about that? Wasn't it a stepping stone to building a moon base and perhaps a colony with manufacturing facilities that would act as a platform for future Mars missions. Missions with the intent of establishing a base on Mars as perhaps a way to better reach the asteroids in order to mine them. Sounds like conquest to me. They didn't call it the conquest of space for nothing.
The simple fact is that people felt that the money and resources being used for that conquest could be better used on Earth so the space program died a slow death. Right up until now with a pretty much lame duck space station that will most likely be decommissioned in 2020 to a watery grave.

I would expect that alien civilizations would face many of the same social vs space issues and never go into space making it that less likely to meet them.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Because apparently humans have an ingrained psychological fetish for being abducted and drugged, having their orifices violated, and being hybridised by evil entities.
We will just have to agree to disagree. It seems to me that you advocate the happy and helpful space brother view while I advocate the evil alien one.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
With all the sexual references flying around here, I wonder if this thread should be moved to the basement... :shifty:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wasn't it a stepping stone to building a moon base and perhaps a colony with manufacturing facilities that would act as a platform for future Mars missions.

It was pretty much "Let's beat the Soviets and show the world what capitalism can do."

If you spoke to the people who made the real decisions- the politicians, that is what they would have told you. If you spoke to von Braun, he would probably have said "I want to send people to Mars. Mars is Awesome."

Missions with the intent of establishing a base on Mars as perhaps a way to better reach the asteroids in order to mine them.

A Mars base isn't really a good way to reach asteroids.

There are lots of NEOs anyway, it's cheaper to get to them just by flying out of LEO.

Of course, there are a whole lot of other issues and the whole thing is totally out of the scope of this discussion. It doesn't really have anything to do with the motivations behind flying to the Moon.

It seems to me that you advocate the happy and helpful space brother view while I advocate the evil alien one.

I don't necessarily advocate the "happy and helpful space brother" view, I just don't advocate the "evil alien" one.

Ragtag

Reaction score
Well that's it for me folks. It's been fun but this has played out for me.
Be seeing ya.:salute:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No, I think for the kind of references displayed here the basement sounds just about right... :lol:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Fair point. I suppose you could currently include humans in that classification as well.

But humans are NOT yet technologically advanced to leave our planet and survive off it permanently.

Once a civilisation reaches a point where moving off-planet is within financial reach of a middle-class citizen (given life's savings or life insurance), do you really think no one in the entire history of that civilisation will ever move off-planet? Remember, it takes a single Von Neumann probe to conquer the galaxy.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But humans are NOT yet technologically advanced to leave our planet and survive off it permanently.

The technology exists, you don't need magic. It just hasn't been refined yet because nobody has cared enough (vicious circle demand-and-supply problem).

Once a civilisation reaches a point where moving off-planet is within financial reach of a middle-class citizen (given life's savings or life insurance), do you really think no one in the entire history of that civilisation will ever move off-planet?

I would be tempted to say, that it will never be in the financial reach of a middle-class citizen. But it depends on what is defined as "middle class".

If some people want to spend their money moving to some dead, boring nowhere elsewhere in the solar system, why not? If it is a waste, at least it's theirs to waste.

Remember, it takes a single Von Neumann probe to conquer the galaxy.

And a single bacterium to conquer the Earth, right? ;)

Nobody said anything about von Neumann probes.

orbekler

Reaction score
Just seeing how the word "aliens" increases the lenght of threads, I guess that Scott's Prometheus will be a huge success...;)

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Seems like a debate about "The worth of spaceflight" gets on every major science thread...

Vast fury

Reaction score
Look at these and tell me that amongst all these galaxies, there isn't a habitable planet in town..!

There might be even like hundreds in each of those galaxies!! Or thousands! Depends on the size of its stars though.. But who knows?? Whats pretty clear here is that there out there. And there's literally many of them. were just one of them.

:probe: