Flight Question Almost there........nevermind

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
This is my scenario. I launched the Shuttle to the ISS. My RInc is about 0.5 degrees. My CVEL is increasing, but then it starts to decrease. No matter if I burn at the -V[ISS] or +V[ISS] it does not increase. What do I do in this case. I never had a problem with this and I am only 7km away and the ISS keeps getting further away.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ensure that your relative inclination is as close to 0 as possible. A high rel. inc. can cause this sort of drift.

The most likely culprit would be gravity-gradient torque. This can be enabled/disabled in the Orbiter launchpad. If it isn't disabled, do so and see if the problem persists.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I will try it and get back to you on it.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Try burning toward the station when you get that close. The V+/- vectors are for nulling translational rates, far as I can tell. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

IthyStPete

Reaction score
The V +/- vectors just show where you're going; pointing towards the +V[ISS] and burning should increase your CVEL.
Nonspherical gravity might well be the problem, but if it isn't, you'll just need to be more precise when aligning planes and setting up your rendezvous in Sync MFD. (assuming you use that) I can usually get a closest approach within a kilometer. With the relatively weak Shuttle OMS, you'll just have to start burning from a ways away.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
The V +/- vectors just show where you're going; pointing towards the +V[ISS] and burning should increase your CVEL.
Nonspherical gravity might well be the problem, but if it isn't, you'll just need to be more precise when aligning planes and setting up your rendezvous in Sync MFD. (assuming you use that) I can usually get a closest approach within a kilometer. With the relatively weak Shuttle OMS, you'll just have to start burning from a ways away.
I guess I'll start the scenario back and start the burn to gain CVEL. I also shouild have aligned my plane better as I had thought that as long as it is below 1 that it is fine. I guess not. Thanks.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Yeah, what I do is I just burn directly towards it if something starts to go bad. Are you sure your DTMin is 0.00?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I think I forgot to do that. Since I obviously can't reach my periapsis at the moment to lower my DTMin, what do I do?

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
well at 7km, DTmin should'nt matter terribly much. Although with the shuttle, its a different story...Yeah, just watch your DTMin