Discussion Amateur video of Challenger...

slaver0110

Reaction score
Found this on CNN today.
http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/24/rare-challenger-disaster-video-surfaces/?hpt=hp_c2

I can't help but wonder how many other home-shot videos are out there of this. It makes me think of all the footage shot of Columbia at she reentered, every enthusiast waiting outside that night, hoping to capture the return.

Does anyone know of a repository of home-shot vids like this? I realize that, given the year (1986) that camcorders were tape-based, making it harder to convert to digital for the internet. I'll be spending the day trying to compile such.

Peace.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, actually it's not hard to convert tape to digital. You can buy a USB-based audio/video capture device for very little today. It's the state of the tapes that's the main worry, they're subject to wear and tear, and they can demagnetize if not stored properly.
However, plenty of old videos on YouTube.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow, that's like a time warp. Eastern Airlines. And VHS tape cameras.

The interesting thing is that's the first time I've seen what the SRBs did after the breakup. I didn't realize they started to veer off so soon. The famous footage shown on the news always stops following them and focuses on the big cloud.

It's still sickening to watch.

Solar424

Reaction score

The interesting thing is that's the first time I've seen what the SRBs did after the breakup. I didn't realize they started to veer off so soon. The famous footage shown on the news always stops following them and focuses on the big cloud.

Yeah. And then they had to self-destruct the SRB's so they posed no danger to those on land.

slaver0110

Reaction score

I thought the same thing, about the SRB's as they left the main cloud. I never realized the actual degree to which they departed.

What I'm hoping to do is compile a split-screen composite of synchronized footage; maybe this in one window, the news coverage in another, and mission control in the third.

FADEC

Reaction score
There is probably a countless number of private Challenger recordings.

But more interesting than the launch actually was the Eastern 727 in the foreground. Good old days of "classic" aviation. Classic in terms of my childhood when I became interested in aviation; not that modern but boring glass cockpit and low noise engine stuff.

Screamer7

Reaction score
Yes, that was a tragic event. What is the multiple contrails in the center just above the explosion between the SRB contrails? I've never saw that. They are going up very fast from the origin of the explosion. From 0.46sec. into the video.
And how did they destroy the SRB's? I've thought that once they lid, they burn until the solid fuel are used up.

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Yes, that was a tragic event. What is the multiple contrails in the center just above the explosion between the SRB contrails? I've never saw that. They are going up very fast from the origin of the explosion. From 0.46sec. into the video.
And how did they destroy the SRB's? I've thought that once they lid, they burn until the solid fuel are used up.

RSO detonated the SRB's.

FADEC

Reaction score

Unmanned rockets can be destroyed by the Range Safety Officer. It may sound strange to some people but the SRBs were "unmanned" and were capable for remote controlled destruction. The Challenger disaster, amongst other rocket disasters, is a perfect example why rockets must have that capability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Solid_Rocket_Booster#Range_safety_system

Linguofreak

Reaction score

That only applies if they remain in one piece. They obviously won't continue burning if you blow them up. But that's the only way to stop them burning, and obviously doesn't help if you don't want to blow up your entire launch stack. Once the rest of the launch stack has disintegrated, however, it's no longer a concern.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Those are various chunks of the orbiter and whatever was left of the ET.

Explosive charges on the SRBs remotely detonated by the range safety officer.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
its just so weird how uneventful it seems. rest in peace crew!

ED_4

Whovian/Star Trekker/Pinoy
Reaction score
This one just pop up this morning in my look in Yahoo!News

Just saw this morning 3-10-2012 news via Yahoo!News

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sidesho...ger-shuttle-explosion-revealed-185802006.html

Before you say it's the same, have a read at the article and also watch the video footage. The video looks even older since it was filmed by Super 8 video making it look almost like it happened back in the days of Apollo.

Another chilling reminder of the Challenger event.

We won't forget those that went on that flight, may they all rest in peace.