Project AMSO For Dummies v0.6

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hey thanks Ron. One of these days I'll get around to adding the tweaks that 1987 suggested. Really glad you found them useful.:thumbup:

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
Keep in mind that I can do tutorial videos for each mission. I could start with Apollo 8 and work my way through Apollo 17. It's best to start with the earlier missions as those are simpler than the later missions. Apollo 9 is a little complex at times though, with all the out of plane engine burns and orbit shaping maneuvers.

RonDVouz

Reaction score
Hey thanks Ron. One of these days I'll get around to adding the tweaks that 1987 suggested. Really glad you found them useful.:thumbup:

What I've been doing is using your guide as sort of a flight plan, I looked up the pertainent info on all the flights (NASA has a timeline with GET) and applying those values to your checklist and so far I've completed Apollo 8 in full and I started Apollo 10 last night, didn't finish because I got tired.

But in both cases the plan worked to a T. Well, except the A10 launch which put me at an inclination of about 6.3 degrees. I restarted the sim and got the same result, but I ran with it and it worked out.

There was a tweak I added myself, honestly the CSM autopilot for circularization is annoying, and eats fuel. I used the simple mode LOI program, set the eccentricity to around 0.0500 and entered the high elliptical orbit (close to NASA numbers), then again at perigee setting the eccentricity to 0.0003, worked fine. Last night it put me ahead of their timeline by almost an hour.

I have to say though, I'm impressed with myself on that A8 mission, I pretty much nailed it the whole way, landing time about 3 minutes after theirs. Very cool!

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

Apollo 9 is a little complex at times though, with all the out of plane engine burns and orbit shaping maneuvers.

A10 too, in fact part of my fatigue last night was looking up these maneuvers. I was really just going to detach the LM, go DOI, orbit a few then re-rendezvous.

But without the uncontrolled vehicle movement Gene Cernan and Tom Stafford had in the real mission. :lol:

Last edited:

AngusGibson

Reaction score
Hey, Shifty! I hope you're still around. (Sorry if this is necroposting, but I believe it's relevant to the original post - sorry, I haven't used this forum in ages)

I use your guide all the time on AMSO, and I'm trying to do a successful Apollo 11 mission from start to finish without using another scenario (ie. Go from the liftoff scenario all the way to splashdown).

So far, I have successfully done that with one exception lately, my TEI to re-entry. You say in your tutorial in both the TEI and TECC sections, "It is important that your final PeA be around 45km." My last go through had my PeA at 48 km and several decimal places. Both of my attempts to go through re-entry ended with an angel. Finagling with the heading, ignition time, burn time, etc. didn't let me get closer to 45 km.

Any help?