AMSO Launch Abort

Master of Blades

Reaction score
I've got meself a problem with AMSO, when executing a launch abort using the LES, the capsule travels upwards (as intended), but after a short while, the astronauts die (getting the angel thing)... Got no idea why it happens, and I tried to reinstall the AMSO Add-on, no result. Any ideas?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Your dynamic pressure ramped up too fast for the capsule too survive this. Can you explain, when you initiated the abort and what you did?

Matte

Reaction score
it is very strange. me and Alain worked a lot on this situation. i tested almost 100 times at every second into the flight to set values in a way to avoid a Dynamic Pressure accident. do you have the latest version?
Matteo

Master of Blades

Reaction score
Your dynamic pressure ramped up too fast for the capsule too survive this. Can you explain, when you initiated the abort and what you did?

Initiated abort whilst on the pad, just by pressing the corresponding keys ("J" twice). I also tried doing it about 10 seconds after launch, same keystroke, same result.

it is very strange. me and Alain worked a lot on this situation. i tested almost 100 times at every second into the flight to set values in a way to avoid a Dynamic Pressure accident. do you have the latest version?
Matteo

Yes, I have the latest version (1.17)

Another thing I noticed, is that the PDI autopilot keeps missing the intended landing site, gives me a "TARGET CHANGE" in the little white "debug string", and tries to correct the course, but ends up smashing into the lunar surface at unhealthy speeds.

I figured it might be another add-on that's conflicting, so here's a list of what other add-ons I have installed:

CVEL-Buran
Rendevouz MFD
Ummu
Delta Glider IV
Earth 1962
ENERGY Project
Hercule
IMFD (5.1h)
ISS Fleet
LC-39B launchpad ( by kev33)
Nebulus
Packed Dragonfly
Project Gemini
Project Mercury
Project R-7
Proton LV
R7 ICBM
Soyuz TMA
Progress Spacecraft
Shuttle Fleet
STS Payloads
Space Tugs
UH-34

Attitude MFD
AutoFCS
CamShake
FieldMFD
GPCMFD
LandMFD
Orbiter Sound
PylonMFD
RendezvousMFD
SoyuzGuidanceMFD
Kay... quite a lengthy list, but are any of those known to be conflicting with AMSO?

Cheers

Matte

Reaction score
on my PC, Attitude MFD gives some problems both graphically and with AMSO's autopilots. try to disable it. for the others i dunno.
i'd suggest, as it is written in the manual, to use AMSO on a fresh Orbiter Install, with just few supported add-ons.
the Target Change during landing is perfectly correct, it is the Program 64 that gives you the chance to correct your actual path to reach the point of the landing site ypu prefer. it is not supposed to crash at all, and on mine never happened, so i guess is still a matter of add-ons installed. try it on a fresh install and tell me if it gives you problems again.
;)

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I know this is off topic but wear can I get AMSO from?

Master of Blades

Reaction score
@Matte
Awright, i'll try without Attitude MFD, and on a clean install, and see if it works.

@Woo AMSO

Update: Worked fine on a "clean" install, without any modules activated. I also tried to completely remove the Attitude MFD from the orbiter directory, but i kept dying (and crashing during attempted lunar landings).

Update2: Didn't work on my "old" orbiter install, after deactivating all modules.

Update3: LES problem solved, it appears that one of me mates had unticked the "limitied fuel" box, and if the escape tower possesses unlimited fuel, it will just continue to burn, and not separate from the Apollo capsule, thus creating too much dynamic pressure.

I still keep crashing on the moon though...

Last edited:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I recently did an Apollo 11 mission with AttitudeMFD (v3.2) activated the whole way and it didn't cause any problems. The main thing is to ensure that you don't have any AttitudeMFD auto-pilots running at the same time as the AMSO auto-pilots.

The only other module I had activated was IMFD (v5.1g).