Anim8or Fill Holes Problem

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've got a problem trying to fill a half-cylinder with a face. I started with a 100-face cylinder, then deleted half the points to get a half-cylinder. I then used the fillholes command to put a "base" on the chopped part of the cylinder. Now, I've selected all the edges surrounding the open ends of the half-cylinder and fillholes isn't working. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I know the command works
Thanks,
Zat

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've never even used the "fill holes" tool. I'd do what you want to do a little differently. When I extrude the 100-side polygon, I'd choose the options to put ends on it, and then cut the end faces along with the cylinder. Since the end result has a rectangular footprint, I'd just make another rectangular face and join solids and merge points to get the closed half-cylinder you're looking for.

GB

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I've consistently had problems with the fill-holes function, too.

Greg's suggestion of using extrude is a good one, and the way I usually go after becoming sufficiently frustrated with fill-holes.

One possibility is to select a group of your lines and extrude them, then fold them over to fill your gaps. With a little bit of work, you can create seamless faces this way.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks! The extrude method seems to work well. With 50 sides, who's going to know it's not a cylinder :p
It's a bit tedious merging all the faces for better rendering and such, but if I'm ever going to finish a project I announced back in November...