Anti-homosexual movement in Uganda

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
I'm sure many of you have seen this video, but I recently found it and was upset by the blind hatred of homosexuals in Uganda. Warning the video is NSFW (at least keep your sound muted if you're at work!), it is of an anti-gay pastor who is trying to shock the citizens into believing that homosexuals are the devil

You also might want to check out this documentary, which goes into more detail about the situation in Uganda-

It is a shame our media isn't covering this more closely, but since it isn't in our backyard no one cares I guess.

Although I don't personally agree with the homosexual lifestyle (for religious and other reasons), I do have a family member who considers herself "gay" and I strongly oppose punishing them for their behavior as long as they keep it private and it is between adults.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What if somebody inside the USA preaches exactly the same and worse? and nobody cares as well....

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Robertson_controversies"]Pat Robertson controversies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Last edited:

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
As much as I don't support, nor practice homo-sexuality, I would never go around saying that they are the devil, or anything else negative (unless there is strong and very convincing evidence otherwise). There is no excuse for leading an anti-homosexual movement because the bottom line is: they're people who live, work and pay taxes like everybody else.

KosmoKen

Lost in Translation
Donator
Reaction score
What if somebody inside the USA preaches exactly the same and worse? and nobody cares as well....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Robertson_controversies

If only it were just one person... But the States aside, is it really any surprise that a state so out of touch with the modern world has these views? I wonder if we put this stuff in the news just to make us feel better about our own damn selves.

Dambuster

Reaction score
There is no excuse for leading an anti-homosexual movement because the bottom line is: they're people who live, work and pay taxes like everybody else.

i.e. they're humans, just like the rest of us.

bujin

Reaction score
I don't see why everyone cannot just grow up and accept that homosexual behaviour is perfectly natural, and something that happens right across the animal kingdom. What business is it of anyone else what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home?

When it comes to "gay rights" movements, protests, etc... the only reason such things exist is because they're pushing back against the discrimination. If people left them to it, there would be no need.

And before anyone asks, no I'm not. I just hate discrimination of any kind.

AirSimming

Reaction score
The anti-gay pastor isn't even wrong entirely. The most disgusting fact to me is that those sexual preferences he is talking about, which are indeed sick, do happen to humans on the whole, i.e. heterosexuals etc.

Also, we are very quick in judging bad things happening in foreign regions/countries, while we forget that our own system and culture we live in also did and still does propaganda against homosexuality to a certain degree. Uganda is no exception at all. It is possible to find German pastors, US pastors etc. preaching against homosexuality.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I can't understand for the life of me how could anyone hate Portia De Rossi...

Portia-de-Rossi-3.JPG

Madness. Pure madness...

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Would you like to see her on the side of an Atlas V ;)?

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
The anti-gay pastor isn't even wrong entirely. The most disgusting fact to me is that those sexual preferences he is talking about, which are indeed sick, do happen to humans on the whole, i.e. heterosexuals etc.

Also, we are very quick in judging bad things happening in foreign regions/countries, while we forget that our own system and culture we live in also did and still does propaganda against homosexuality to a certain degree. Uganda is no exception at all. It is possible to find German pastors, US pastors etc. preaching against homosexuality.

Uganda has the right to have its culture. There are places where gays may live as they want. Imposing a culture on Ugandans would be invasive, gays belong to a different culture. Ugandans should be free to have their culture.

Last edited:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
In a similar way, Uganda has the right to have its culture. There are places where gays may live as they want. Imposing a culture on Ugandans would be invasive, gays belong to a different culture. Ugandans should be free to have their culture.

Allowing freedom of speech is one thing. But Uganda is the perfect example of the consequences that happen when you have legal hate-speech. Basically, an extremist US pastor held an anti-gay seminary there, and now they have this radical anti-gay movement, it's even supported by a majority of the parliament and they may pass a bill that basically punishes homosexuality by long prison sentences or even death.

Unrestricted free speech is no sign of civilisation. A country that allows its citizens to spew hate speech without consequence can not be considered a part of the civilised world.

Cerebus

Lurking
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I can't understand for the life of me how could anyone hate Portia De Rossi...

Portia-de-Rossi-3.JPG

Madness. Pure madness...

Either this is waaay OT, or you are making the assumption that homosexual men 'hate' women? Or perhaps I'm just misinterpreting the statement, if so I apologise.

Uganda is perhaps extreme in their view of homosexuality, however they are not alone, this type of hatred has been levelled at homosexuality throughout recorded human history, ( and perhaps before).

What saddens me is that for all the advances we have made in communication, in some ways we are no better off than when we came down from the trees, we still fear what we do not understand, and fear begets hatred.

My own views on homosexuality are plain and simple, it's normal, natural, and acceptable, as in any relationship, provided there is love, need anyone interfere?

My own sexual preference? Thats pretty irrelevant, I am also human, I live, I love, and my partner is also a wonderful loving human.

AirSimming

Reaction score
There are worst hate speeches and very uncivilized barbaric practices in western world and people do nothing about it. It is our old western habit of pointing the finger at others. I may not enter in details not to have my free speech banned.

:goodposting:

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

My own views on homosexuality are plain and simple, it's normal, natural, and acceptable, as in any relationship, provided there is love, need anyone interfere?

It even has to be acceptable. However, I have to disagree in terms of normal/natural. If it would be normal, i.e. the norm, it would apply to ja majority of humans which is not the case. Also, if it would be natural: what would happen to our species if any single human would become homosexual? It's the same with asexuality, which applies to me (and to approximately 1% to 10% of the population). I consider those sexual orientations to be exceptional because it does not apply to the majority of our species and also does contradict our reproduction.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It even has to be acceptable. However, I have to disagree in terms of normal/natural. If it would be normal, i.e. the norm, it would apply to ja majority of humans which is not the case. Also, if it would be natural: what would happen to our species if any single human would become homosexual? It's the same with asexuality, which applies to me (and to approximately 1% to 10% of the population). I consider those sexual orientations to be exceptional because it does not apply to the majority of our species and also does contradict our reproduction.
My sentiments exactly. (Well, I'm not asexual, but close enough.)

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Are you volunteering to make the addon? :lol:

I'm actually working on what I consider to be "true" nose art (in this case, fairing art). If you don't believe me, refer to the Orbiter Screenshot Thread. But this is off-topic. What is on topic is another example life of accemptance. Some people accept homosexuals the way they are. Others hate them. You will always find this in anything that is put into focus in modern culture. Some of my family members are even homosexual. I'm not proud of the choice they made, but I will still love them no matter what. And some of you said this whole situation is due to lack of modernization in some of these countries that have cultures similar to Uganda. This is where spin-offs of space technology would really come in handy. That way, people from Uganda can communicate via satellites to others elsewhere (i.e. news, more T.V. channels, etc.). The catch is getting them to accept technology like that. Sorry, this is probably my longest post ever! Anyway, that's all I have to say about this whole deal.

Last edited: