Gaming Any IL-2 Sturmovik fans?

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Those are another flight leader calling to his flight. Sound is something that is really generic in stock Il-2 series.

A big reason why I got into Orbiter is because my rig for Il-2 went under and Orbiter runs on my laptop. IL-2 not so much.

It's interesting that Orbiter never took the Ultra Pack route of bundled add-on packs. That simplifies things a lot.

Ark

Reaction score
It's interesting that Orbiter never took the Ultra Pack route of bundled add-on packs. That simplifies things a lot.

Not really, because getting other things to work on top of a bundle is usually very difficult. For the most part addons in Orbiter don't interfere with each other, and interference is the main reason for bundled addons anyway.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Bought 1946 for 9€/12$ today, and also used my school's fast connection to get that Ultrapack.

Ark

Reaction score
Best part of Ultra Pack is the new sounds, now the aircraft don't sound like lawnmower engines anymore. Vanilla IL-2 generally has pretty crappy sounds.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
When I stopped visiting the IL-2 forums after the spring, there was a semi-official add-on patch released from something like Team Dialios or Dadios, or something. (Can't remember the name). It added a bunch of cool stuff like Fritz-X and a radio navigation environment. Anyway, it caused a lot of friction because it was not very compatible with modded installs of earlier versions of Il-2. Anyone know what ever happened with that?

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I got the first one in a bundle with Pacific fighters and lockon...sadly I lost the disk and haven't been able to find it...ill check out the one on steam

I have the same bundle, somewhere. Seem to have lost mine as well :(

---------- Post added at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IL-2_Sturmovik_(video_game)

1946 is available on Steam for $7, it's gotta be the best combat flight sim deal out there.

Today only, you can get IL-2:1946 on Steam for $3.39 USD. I will be doing so. :thumbup:

Ark

Reaction score
Today only, you can get IL-2:1946 on Steam for $3.39 USD. I will be doing so. :thumbup:

Wow, content for dollars that has to be the best deal in the gaming world today.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow, content for dollars that has to be the best deal in the gaming world today.

Definitely.

The only thing I have seen even remotely close on a dollars-to-content level was Battlefield 3 for $28 on Black Friday.

IL2:1946 purchased and downloading :)

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Installed and running, but having a major problem. I can't even get off the ground. Even at 110% power the plane just sits there as if the wheel brakes are engaged, but I'm not pressing B. Tried pressing B to see if there was a toggle, but no luck. Controls menu lists B as the wheel brake, but it doesn't seem to be responding. Anyone run into this before?

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And the engines are on? (I key)

Yes. Engine running, power at 110%.

Seems to only occur on the carrier missions. Is there something I need to do to release the plane differently on a carrier? The tutorial didn't mention anything other than holding down B.

diogom

Reaction score
Yes. Engine running, power at 110%.

Seems to only occur on the carrier missions. Is there something I need to do to release the plane differently on a carrier? The tutorial didn't mention anything other than holding down B.

Try pressing Ç . The chocks might be active.

Edit: Wait... US keyboards might not have Ç :lol: Look in the controls list anyways.

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Try pressing Ç . The chocks might be active.

Edit: Wait... US keyboards might not have Ç :lol: Look in the controls list anyways.

Thanks, that was it. Not only were chocks active, the key to remove them was undefined.

Ark

Reaction score
Thanks, that was it. Not only were chocks active, the key to remove them was undefined.

Yeah, it's undefined by default. I think I bound mine to Shift+C before I could take off from a carrier manually.

elephantium

Reaction score
I haven't played IL-2, but I've been hearing about it here and elsewhere. I decided to pick up a copy and try it out.

Only problem is ... which one do I buy? I don't want to install Steam, so I went looking on Amazon and found a very confusing array of IL-2 variants/expansions. I'd hate to buy an expansion pack and not be able to install it... :facepalm:

Lord Wasteland

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Jolly joy gents. I find with my Orbiter HOTAS, this game is bloody fun. Already have UP 3.0RC4 installed. How about we form an IL-2 server. I'll be servin' on the Allies if we do.