Software Anyone tried running Orbiter on Windows 10 yet?

llarian

Reaction score
I haven't downloaded it yet but I noticed the request to download Windows 10 on my taskbar today. Has anyone already installed Windows 10 and tried running Orbiter on it? Preliminary comments?

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have downloaded the technical preview on my school PC. I could run vanilla Orbiter 2010 on it, but I didn't test it further (I only used it to find out where on the horizon the Sun would rise the next morning).

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I've been running the TP for a while now, and most of it is very stable. I've had no problems running any games, from GTA V through to Orbiter 2010-P1 (with and without DX9 client) and the betas from SVN.

It's also very nice!

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
I'm still using Windows 8.1, since it came default with the new laptop I got, and I must say, Orbiter is a bit more "laggy" than on my previous computer, to the point where I can't really play it anymore.

And yes, I realize this is OT for the thread.

llarian

Reaction score
I'm still using Windows 8.1, since it came default with the new laptop I got, and I must say, Orbiter is a bit more "laggy" than on my previous computer, to the point where I can't really play it anymore.

And yes, I realize this is OT for the thread.

I don't think it is necessarily off topic. I skipped 8 and 8.1 because of others less than happy experiences with it, waiting to see if Microsoft would finally get its act together and stop using its user base as its QA department. Often, you can get a sense of the quality of a product by its progenitor.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
In what regards?

Let me quantify myself; I hated Windows 8, and I never used 8.1.

Windows 10 strikes me as a much better balance between the familiar desktop mentality (which is my fundamental user experience, being a desktop user) and the need to morph the UI to accommodate a touch-screen-driven device. Win 10 has a Tablet Mode, instead of trying to smush the two interfaces into one, which is an improvement.

Honestly the start menu thing was a big problem for me. I don't like icons on my desktop; generally I'm a <winkey>+typing+return kinda guy to fire off programs in Win 10 (which I'm informed was a Windows 8 feature too) - but I find I need an orderly list of the installed stuff on my machine. The start screen didn't make any sense to me on a desktop box; yes, it's still there if you want it, but you're not forced into it, and that's all that I care about, really.

For a preview I've been impressed with the stability and performance of the builds, too - I haven't had a blue screen with it yet, and gaming performance with high-end games like GTA V is what I was getting from Windows 7, so I can't complain about that.

All in all, it's a system I could use every day, though I don't use it for work (because I am a linux sysadmin and it's just easier this way).