Discussion Apollo 11 tutorial?

stealthstar

Reaction score
I was thinking someone really needs to create an Apollo 11 tutorial addon. similar to how they have moon trip tutorial for the DG spaceship. But one that teaches you all the steps in Apollo 11 (one of my favorite space flights of all time) They have an addon for Apollos 8-17 but its a bitch to do on your own manually. most of the Apollo flights were automatic. I have been trying out the AMSO scenarios from that project Apollo addon but I realized they have no tutorials that do the trip automatically and skip the three day trip to the moon. (nobody wants to sit at a computer for three to eight days)

Castor

Reaction score
Did you try this ?

http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=1303

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

They have an addon for Apollos 8-17 but its a bitch to do on your own manually. most of the Apollo flights were automatic.

I assume you are talking about AMSO, in which case there are autopilots for almost every procedure except Trans-lunar injection and Lunar-orbit insertion. If you use IMFD or LTMFD, these steps can also be done automatically.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

(nobody wants to sit at a computer for three to eight days)

Actually, most of the trip is completed under time acceleration.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
You press the "t" key on your keyboard to increase the speed at which Orbiter simulates- pretty much every tutorial assumes that you'd do that to pass through the coasting periods between burns. Since you what to go to the Moon, I'd suggest looking into Lunar Transfer MFD, which comes with a tutorial on how to use it.

Also, the flights weren't automatic. Several Command Module Pilots have commented on the fact they had to punch in the what the computers needed to know to do the flying, and those numbers either came from the guys onboard(think Jim Lovell finding stars with a sextant and figuring out their position in space with pad and paper on Apollo 8 for example) or the people on the ground. Of course, while using a program to do something isn't entirely manual, having to start it up and do quite a bit of care and feeding to get it to do what you what it to do, isn't automatic either. That the Commanders would hand-fly the LM's to landing is a straighter example of what I'm talking about, but when it boiled down to it the guys of the Apollo missions weren't passengers, they spent time flying it instead of hitting the 'goto:moon' button and sitting back.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...I realized they have no tutorials that do the trip automatically and skip the three day trip to the moon...
So you want a very brief tutorial that basically says "go grab your pop-corn, press this magic key, sit back, relax, and watch at your monitor"?

I do hope they make one someday.
"They" includes yourself.
Read some manuals, fire up your scenario, try it 50 different times, write down what you do, bang your head at the desk several times, rinse-repeat for a week or two, and create your own tutorial.

Then, share it.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I have no problem with people using Orbiter in their own way.
But I'm not sure you understand what a simulator is...

And I don't know how to combine the thoughts of "tutorial containing all the steps" and "automatically" in my mind. If everything is automated, what steps would there be?
AMSO has a manual of course. And is one of the most automated addons I can think of. There's one key for most things, and about three main keys total.
Also, I wouldn't personally start with learning to go to the moon, even with automation.

(Here's how you *actually* get *prepared* to go to the moon :p http://nassp.sourceforge.net/wiki/Prelaunch_checklist_(Virtual_AGC) )

Last edited: