Apollo 15 Post Orbital Insertion Procedures Question

Wedge313

Reaction score
Hi,

Running the Apollo 15 scenario, and just achieved orbit. The PAMFD Post Orbital Insertion checklist instructs you to turn off the CM RCS PRPLNT 1 & 2, and check both talkbacks barberpoled (I don't see this step in the Apollo 15 or AOH checklists). Later we run the CM RCS Monitoring Checklist, and we have to turn them back on. On previous flights that I've run (A8 and A11) I think these switches were off throughout the flight until prior to reentry, but I don't see yet where they get turned off. Did I miss a step?

And, in this scenario I guess I'm also MCC and have to generate the SV's and PADs manually. I grabbed the first SV using the PAMFD SV function, and it seemed to uplink OK. For the TLI PAD I'm using the RTCC MFD. and that looks OK. What about the T+90 and TLI+4 Abort PADs? I'm not seeing a way to generate those (and fingers crossed they won't be needed anyway). Any other tips or advice on how to be my own MCC?

Thanks.

Last edited:

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Running the Apollo 15 scenario, and just achieved orbit. The PAMFD Post Orbital Insertion checklist instructs you to turn off the CM RCS PRPLNT 1 & 2, and check both talkbacks barberpoled (I don't see this step in the Apollo 15 or AOH checklists). Later we run the CM RCS Monitoring Checklist, and we have to turn them back on. On previous flights that I've run (A8 and A11) I think these switches were off throughout the flight until prior to reentry, but I don't see yet where they get turned off. Did I miss a step?
As stated before, the PAMFD checklists are general checklists, so go with the actual 15 procedures. Regarding the CMRCS, It seems 15-17 left them open (grey) for the duration of the mission.

And, in this scenario I guess I'm also MCC and have to generate the SV's and PADs manually. I grabbed the first SV using the PAMFD SV function, and it seemed to uplink OK. For the TLI PAD I'm using the RTCC MFD. and that looks OK. What about the T+90 and TLI+4 Abort PADs? I'm not seeing a way to generate those (and fingers crossed they won't be needed anyway). Any other tips or advice on how to be my own MCC?
I would use the RTCC MFD for all of your planning and uplinks that way you are using the same MFD.

To generate the proper TLI PAD as well as abort pads you need to use the RTCC MFD as well. While it needs some revision, the RTCC manual is contained in the Doc\Project Apollo - NASSP folder.

RTCC MFD has a steep learning curve so don't be surprised if you are feeling overwhelmed.

Wedge313

Reaction score
RTCC MFD has a steep learning curve so don't be surprised if you are feeling overwhelmed.
Probably like NASSP in general; the first time through a procedure I have no clue, the second time through it starts to make sense, and eventually I get the hang of it. But that's what makes it fun.

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Probably like NASSP in general; the first time through a procedure I have no clue, the second time through it starts to make sense, and eventually I get the hang of it. But that's what makes it fun.
Yeah absolutely, RTCC can be very confusing for sure. Your first time using it I would focus on mission required pads and maneuvers just so you start learning the flow. You dont need the abort pads and the like, though you are welcome to attempt them!

Wedge313

Reaction score
And going forward, I think I will only use the Apollo MFD checklists to stay "oriented". I've seen a few deviations but the "flow" between the PAMFD checklist and "real" Apollo 15 checklist seems similar. I'm trying to follow the Apollo 15 flight plan (backed up by following the Apollo Flight Journal), along with the actual Apollo 15 checklists. So far the PAMFD checklist helps me stay in the correct order. But I'll miss the AUTO function!:giggle:

One difference that I noticed was the Program 15 used during TLI (as opposed to P47?) I couldn't find any info on P15, and having just completed the TLI burn based on a TLI PAD I generated from the RTCC I'm curious to see how it all worked out.

Thanks again.

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And going forward, I think I will only use the Apollo MFD checklists to stay "oriented". I've seen a few deviations but the "flow" between the PAMFD checklist and "real" Apollo 15 checklist seems similar. I'm trying to follow the Apollo 15 flight plan (backed up by following the Apollo Flight Journal), along with the actual Apollo 15 checklists. So far the PAMFD checklist helps me stay in the correct order. But I'll miss the AUTO function!:giggle:

One difference that I noticed was the Program 15 used during TLI (as opposed to P47?) I couldn't find any info on P15, and having just completed the TLI burn based on a TLI PAD I generated from the RTCC I'm curious to see how it all worked out.

Thanks again.
Ah P15, basically its a glorified P47 with inputs for the TLI burn itself. If you have the Apollo 15 G&C checklist, P15 is explained in there as well as the launch checklist.

Wedge313

Reaction score
OK, a pause in the disaster... Just finished the transposition and docking, all is going well (I think) and I just remembered I had never addressed the J-mission conversions that had been mentioned. I think I've done the editing correctly, but my question is: Can I continue the mission from my current point (will this edit be in effect), or do I have to go back to the prelaunch beginning? Thanks.

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK, a pause in the disaster... Just finished the transposition and docking, all is going well (I think) and I just remembered I had never addressed the J-mission conversions that had been mentioned. I think I've done the editing correctly, but my question is: Can I continue the mission from my current point (will this edit be in effect), or do I have to go back to the prelaunch beginning? Thanks.
You will have to edit your scn file directly now with the changes.

I can add this for you if you like. Just let me know!

Last edited:

Wedge313

Reaction score
I can add this for you if you like. Just let me know!
Thanks for the offer! I looked at the .scn file and editing this isn't something I think I could pull off correctly.

Here's my latest .scn file...

Thanks again.

Attachments

• T 4+00 Before SIVB Sep.zip
    55.6 KB · Views: 118

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have attached the changed scn, but you will need to still make the appropriate changes to your build to get proper display readouts and such.

Attachments

• T 4+00 Before SIVB Sep (J MIssion Changes).zip
    49.2 KB · Views: 116

Wedge313

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the .scn edit.

you will need to still make the appropriate changes to your build to get proper display readouts and such.
So far all I'm aware of are the J-mission work around conversions for the O2/H2 tanks and LM batteries. What else do I need to do, and where do I find that?

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Wedge313

Reaction score
Is this the section you're referring to?
Note: The O2 and H2 gauges in the CSM, O2 & H2O in the LM will indicate full until many hours into the mission. This is unfortunately because the gauges are still scaled in code for the lower capacity. If you desire to have proper gauge readings, there is an optional work-around for this detailed below.

5. (This step is optional and is for advanced users. You will need to edit the source-code and build modules yourself) There are comments in the source-code indicating what values to use for the proper scaling of the J-mission ECS gauges in the LM & CSM

- In MS Visual Studio, open nasspdef.h and find #define CSM_H2TANK_CAPACITY & #define CSM_O2TANK_CAPACITY, below them are the commented J-mission versions. Un-comment those and comment the old ones.

- Further down you will find #define LM_DES_H2O_CAPACITY and below the J-mission version of it, apply the same procedure as above.

- Open lemswitches.cpp and find "return (lem->ecs.DescentOxyTankQuantityLBS()/(48.0))*100;", below it is the commented J-mission version, remove the comments on the lines starting with "case 1" and "return" and comment the old ones above.

- Rebuild modules. To revert back just follow the same procedure in reverse.
If so, is this optional? Because I don't have MS Visual Studio.

And my brain function meter was pegged when I started looking at the RTCC. This is a bit beyond me.

Thanks again for the help.

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is this the section you're referring to?

If so, is this optional? Because I don't have MS Visual Studio.

And my brain function meter was pegged when I started looking at the RTCC. This is a bit beyond me.

Thanks again for the help.
Optional to the point that your H2 and O2 displays will not read correctly (they will stay pegged full for a long time). But that will be the only drawback.

Wedge313

Reaction score
OK, sorry to keep bothering you, but.....

I'm unable to open the .scn edit you sent. Windows says the zip file is invalid?

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK, sorry to keep bothering you, but.....

I'm unable to open the .scn edit you sent. Windows says the zip file is invalid?
Odd, opens fine for me. Here it is as a txt just remove .txt

Attachments

• T 4+00 Before SIVB Sep (J MIssion Changes).scn.txt
    247.5 KB · Views: 118

Wedge313

Reaction score
Odd, opens fine for me.
Yeah, like most of NASSP the issue is usually on my end. No idea why it wouldn't open for me, but then my computer skills are not that great. Thanks for the .txt version, that looks ok.

Wedge313

Reaction score
As I press on with the Apollo 15 flight, I'm going to come up with a lot of questions, such as...

Where is the O2 ISOL/AUX BAT cb located? I can't find it listed anywhere.

And my O2 TANK 3 ISOL vlv tb is barberpoled, it should be gray, and I can't figure out how to control it.

I'm thinking these cb's/switches are unique to the J missions/Apollo 15, and may not yet be fully integrated into NASSP?

Wedge313

Reaction score
And another thing....

My first attempt to work with the RTCC MFD is not going well. I'm at 5:30 on the flight plan, and if I'm reading it correctly I'm supposed to change the REFSMMAT from launch to PTC.

As a reference I'm trying to follow the RTCC MFD Input Reference guide. (I'm also looking at the RTCC MFD sourceforge webpage, but that seems dated?)

I did the first P52 REFSMATT using the launch orientation (went well). Then to change the REFSMATT I navigated from the RTCC main page to UTI>REFSMMAT and selected OPT>PTC and CLC to calculate. Then to uplink it I used G00 to input G00,CSM,LCV,CSM,CUR;*.

Then when I performed the P52 Preferred realign I get a PROG alarm 1301.

So where am I going wrong, and how can I correct it? Do I just need to maneuver to get a better angle?

Thanks

Last edited:

Miriam

Reaction score
I'm no real expert on RTCC MFD, but 1301 is indeed strange. How high is the resulting MGA (R3 of N22)? If that's high I'd yaw some 20 or 30° and try again (recycle with V32E on N22). It's quite possible that this happens, as the PTC REFSMMAT is about 90° perpendicular to the launch REFSMMAT, so if you are in a bad attitude, you might be in the region where torquing the IMU to it would yield gimbal lock.