Apollo 17: Lunar Rover Deployment?

Wedge313

Reaction score
Hello. How do you deploy the LRV? I've begun the Apollo-17 EVA-1, and I can't figure out how to deploy the LRV or the flag. I thought "F" did the flag and "V" did the rover (I got them both deployed on Apollo 16), but I'm having no luck on 17.

Thanks

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah it is "V" and I can deploy the LRV in an old Apollo 17 scenario of mine. When looking at the code, the only checks are: "ApolloNo > 14" and then of course "LRVDeployed", a status variable that prevents you from deploying the LRV more than once. And then this last check before the LRV gets created is checking if the EVA vessel is in the "landed" state. I wonder if that could be causing the problems if the EVA vessel is currently moving or sliding. Other than that there really shouldn't be anything preventing it to work.

Wedge313

Reaction score
When you say "code" do you mean the .scn file? In the "ChallengerProjectApollo/LEM it shows STATUS Landed Moon, then later APOLLONO 17, LANDED 1. And then much further down there's a section that shows LATERALVELOCITY (0) and ALTITUDERATE (which is 0.019050000000). I couldn't find any line that showed LRVDeployed.

Just to experiment I changed the ALTITUDERATE to 0, but I'm still unable to deploy the flag or LRV. Anything else I might check?

Not a big deal, everything else seems to be going well. On Apollo 15 I didn't even know we could deploy the LRV, and didn't "discover" it until Apollo 16 EVA-3. So when I started Apollo 17 EVA-1 that was one of the first things I wanted to do, deploy the flag and LRV. I'll just press on, I really just want to get past the whole surface part and get into the insertion and rendezvous.

Thanks

Last edited:

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I mean the actual code of the EVA vessel. I can check your scenario, too, if you want, it could very well be a bug.

Wedge313

Reaction score
Well, not sure why (I didn't change anything) but on EVA-2 the flag and LRV deployed without issue.

The one possible thing I did differently was I think this time I was "in" the Challenger-LEVA "ship" when I pressed "V" and "F". I think the first time I was "in" the Challenger "ship". Could that make a difference?

So I got to motor around a little, pull a few doughnuts on the lunar surface. Since this is my last "J" mission I wanted to get that box checked off.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: A few EVA questions...

Is it possible to get two guys out of the LM onto the surface, or are we limited to one?

Is there a way to get the astronaut onto the LRV? At this point I'm driving it around empty while the astronaut just stands around.

Attachments

• R.jpg
    R.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Reactions: STS

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Only the LEVA can deploy the flag and LRV.

The one possible thing I did differently was I think this time I was "in" the Challenger-LEVA "ship" when I pressed "V" and "F". I think the first time I was "in" the Challenger "ship". Could that make a difference?

Only the LEVA vessel can deploy flag and LRV.

Is it possible to get two guys out of the LM onto the surface, or are we limited to one?

Right now it's limited to one. I don't think it take a huge amount of updates to allow two though.

Is there a way to get the astronaut onto the LRV? At this point I'm driving it around empty while the astronaut just stands around.

Nope, doesn't work yet.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I usually just EVA the first one, close the sim, open the saved scenario, and duplicate the LEVA (should be the last vessel in the scenario). Of course, you need to rename the 2nd LEVA so there aren't two vessels with the same name. Then, when you are done with surface ops, just delete the second LEVA with scenario editor.

Kind of a roundabout way to do it, but it works...