Flight Question Apollo 7 Pre-Launch Checklist issue (NASSP)

VincentMcConnell

Reaction score
One of the items on the checklist is to "Slew Delta-V indicator to +1586.8"/

I see the Delta-v/Range display but the problem is that it won't go past 1,000!
And no matter what I do, I can't figure out what in the world the checklist is talking about. It won't let me skip items and move on so I HAVE to do this to get ready for launch. Anybody know what in the heck this means?

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net
You can press the PRO button of Checklist MFD to complete a step manually and move on to the next step.

For the dV Counter I'll take a look...

Cheers
Tschachim

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net
Hm, works fine for me, see screenshot. Which beta version do you use? Could you attach a quicksaved scenario while you have that problem?

Attachments

• EMS.png
    EMS.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 33

VincentMcConnell

Reaction score
I fixed it everyone, although I do have another question about NASSP. I'm not sure how to go to Pro-Grade in attitude. Can anyone help me with that?

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Tschachim, thanks for your help, by the way.

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to go to Pro-Grade in attitude. Can anyone help me with that?

Mmkay, in order to maneuver you must either do it manually, once the ROT Hand Cont (on Panel 1) is activated, and the RCS Helium is activated, verifying the RCS system is active. Or the Command Module Computer can maneuver automatically using Verb49. You cannot maneuver the standard way you would with orbiter.
Full details are here: http://nassp.sourceforge.net/wiki/Service_Module_Reaction_Control_System

If you specifically want to aim prograde, you have to wait till you are fully seperated from the SIVB, and you have activated the ORDEAL. The ORDEAL system rotates a FDAI to match the earth's horizon, based on average orbital height and rotational speed. The checklist to activate the ORDEAL is already built into that auto checklist. Then you just maneuver to 0, 0, 0 (R, P, Y) (You can verify gimbal/IMU angles with Verb16 Noun20). You would have to pitch along with the ORDEAL Rates, and at a standard orbit would be a pitch of about 0.066667 degrees.

If you need help activating the RCS system, learning details on the ORDEAL, or just want general operations tips on the Command Module's Guidance and Control System, you may look here:

http://nassp.sourceforge.net/wiki/Guidance_and_Control_System

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask here! I've got the CSM down-pat like the back of my hand :p

Last edited:

VincentMcConnell

Reaction score
Jedi, that's so awesome. Thanks for all your help. I've learned over the past few days that being a CMP isn't as boring of a job as I originally thought. I'm going to look into all of that

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

Just a quick question, Jedi...

How long does it take you to run through the pre-launch checklist for Apollo 7? I'm guessing only a few minutes. haha

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
How long does it take you to run through the pre-launch checklist for Apollo 7? I'm guessing only a few minutes. haha

It's supposed to be like three hours for three backup crew and three main crew. :lol: I've tried flipping everything myself and I can't keep up with the checklists. Especially when I didn't know where everything was, I couldn't even do it on 0.1x speed.

VincentMcConnell

Reaction score
Strange. It only took me about 3 hours from the time I first started flipping switches until I launched. But I had a friend reading off the panel locations to me over our air-ground loop. lol

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
Just a quick question, Jedi...

Well, i like to take the normal three hours, cause i like to be historically accurate and follow the numbers as much as possible :p hehehe

Normally the three hours is a good thing to follow cause things have to be warmed up and tested, such as the GLYCOL system, the BMAGs, and etc.

I personally find NASSP truly amazing because one person has to fill the spot of three astronauts, the pad crew, and dozens upon dozens of mission controllers, all just to fly the CSM safely.

A little FYI, I've flown Apollo 7 AND i'm currently around the moon on Apollo 8, so i guess I've gotten used to the ship by now :p (I have all my scenarios historically quicksaved, i plan on posting them to OH when i finish the whole mission :D)

Last edited:

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net
...If you specifically want to aim prograde, you have to wait till you are fully seperated from the SIVB, and you have activated the ORDEAL. The ORDEAL system rotates a FDAI to match the earth's horizon, based on average orbital height and rotational speed...

In order to nitpick a little bit, what you describe is how to aim "local horizontal", i.e. pointing the spacecraft's nose parallel to the surface of the Earth directly below the spacecraft. "Prograde" is to aim in direction of the current trajectory, i.e. the direction the spacecraft is flying. This is only the same in case of a circular orbit, in this case your instructions are correct. In case of another orbit/trajectory unfortunately I've no idea how to aim the CSM prograde (without cheating with the HUD or something like that of course). The ORDEAL isn't working properly in that case, but you can achieve "local horizontal" attitude by calculating (but not executing) a burn with dVx != 0 only using P30/P41 for example. If N73 works during P21, you could request the "flight path angle", which is the angle between "local horizontal" and prograde AFAIK, but this isn't working in the Colossus version we use. If someone knows a way how to aim prograde without cheating, I'd happy to learn... :)

... and meanwhile the Virtual AGC scenarios start 4 hours before launch since a few beta versions, 3 hours were a little bit tight indeed for the prelaunch checklists.

A little FYI, I've flown Apollo 7 AND i'm currently around the moon on Apollo 8, so i guess I've gotten used to the ship by now (I have all my scenarios historically quicksaved, i plan on posting them to OH when i finish the whole mission :D)

That sounds great, thanks a lot! :thumbup:

Cheers
Tschachim

zoya12

Reaction score
This is great news and NASSP works fine for me, its one of my favorites. :thumbup: