OHM Apollo generic VC for automated landers

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: 4th rock

I realy like the Beyond Apollo add-on and the way it can be used alongside AMSO.
But one thing was spoiling the imersion. AMSO has VCs, but the LM HAB, LM Truck, LESA, LLVL, LLVS don't have any. 

OK, they are automated or remote controled vehicles, but I though that it might be interesting to create a VC that simulated a control room (similar to a simulator) somewere on Earth. 
So I kept the basic LEM main panel but added a big CRT display for an external view, simulating a camera. It looks somewhat like a homemade simpit but still, better than nothing. The general arrangement could be better (the right MFD is to far to be readable) but as the main objective is atmosphere rather function, I think it's OK for a release as it is. Besides changing the config files to add my VC, no other files were changed.

Required: 
Beyond Apollo addon by rossco (http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5664)

Credits: 
rossco - original addon, configs, meshes and textures
4throck - cockpit mesh, textures and updated config

DOWNLOAD

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
Cool!
I wonder if something like this might not be good as the VC equivalent of the generic "glass cockpit," like all vessels would default to something along these lines when you press F8 unless they had a unique one to preempt it...

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
A fine and vital addition to the Apollo collection :thumbup:! Is there any way to rotate the VC 90 degrees to look out instead of straight up when landed?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Great that you like it.

The VC follows the spacecraft orientation. The original addon only has a main engine, so the spacecraft is facing up when landed.
If someday that is changed (adding a hover engine and changing mesh orientations) the VC will show the "front" view when landed.

Last edited:

Rossco

Reaction score
THANKS!

4th Rock, I know ive done good when someone builds and add-on for my add-on! thanks muchly. :hello:

Sorry the vehicle only points upwards. I cant rightly remember the reason but basically i tried to make them with a hover only but I had problems getting them to stack properly with Velcro so in the end gave them just a main. I wisth there was a simple way in orbiter to set the view direction (i.e. the default cockpit view is x,y,z angle to the vertical for instance). But alas no.

In anycase they are all automated vehicles and should be landed under the autopilot. Mind you at one point they were pushing a manned LESA lander to be a sort of super size eventual replacement for the LEM...

I love how Beyond Apollo turned out, seeing I put it down for almost 2 years. Would love to do some lunar flyers and a few other things, get them UMMU enabled etc so folks could build realistic 1970/80s bases as they would have been built. But alas, never enough time!

cheers
Rossco

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Glad the original author likes it!

One thing that works to have a forward facing camera is using the CameraMFD ( [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2645"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2645[/ame] ). It provides a free movable camera in a MFD. I used it for the Soyuz 7K-OK VC to simulate the Vizor periscope... not perfect but works.

But I think that the "up" facing VC is logical, because it's an unmanned spacecraft. It simply follows the engine orientation.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry the vehicle only points upwards. I cant rightly remember the reason but basically i tried to make them with a hover only but I had problems getting them to stack properly with Velcro so in the end gave them just a main. I wisth there was a simple way in orbiter to set the view direction (i.e. the default cockpit view is x,y,z angle to the vertical for instance). But alas no.

if you're writing a .dll there is the SetCameraDefaultDirection(VECTOR3) function.

PS. I was actually really annoyed when I logged into OHM and saw that someone had "stolen" my idea and even my working title. but no hard feelings :tiphat: