Question Applying to Astronaut/Cosmonaut Program

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, has anyone here applied is is planning to apply to their country's Astronaut or Cosmonaut program? I think my dad did, but he was rejected (I probably would have said something by now if my dad was an astronaut). If America even has a manned space program, I'll probably apply, and probably get rejected. Not to be negative, but it's just realistic that NASA wouldn't accept me if I can't even get into the military :lol:.

Since NASA won't accept me, this is my plan (half-joking): Start a Spaceflight company and build a low-cost, reusable suborbital point to point spaceplane. We'll eventually work our way up to a reusable heavy-lift SSTO space plane that uses a launch ramp, which can launch lunar transfer vehicles, cargo, station modules, etc. Then my job title will be CEO, Engineer, Astronaut :lol:. I'll let you know when we hire :rofl:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
NASA won't be accepting people because they won't have a vehicle for a decade. You do NOT have to be a millitary person to be an astronaut.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
You do NOT have to be a millitary person to be an astronaut.
That's not what I was saying, even though it does help a lot on the application. What I meant was that since I don't meet the US Military medical qualifications, since NASA is even more strict, I doubt that they would accept me.

Unstung

Reaction score
You'd need a very high education to have a good chance of becoming an astronaut.

Or start a spaceflight company? The chances of that are pretty low too, even if you are "half-joking". It would require a lot of money, unless you're very rich.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
NASA won't be accepting people because they won't have a vehicle for a decade.

I hope you're not serious, Gary.

NASA is going to fly astronauts on Soyuz for the next ten years, just as it has done for the last ten years... :shifty:

Last edited:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
You'd need a very high education to have a good chance of becoming an astronaut.

Or start a spaceflight company? The chances of that are pretty low too, even if you are "half-joking". It would require a lot of money, unless you're very rich.
That is why my plan gets even more crazy. To help offset the funds, we will place advertisements on the spacecraft and film commercials in zero g. :rofl:

Turbinator

Reaction score
Canada had an astronaut recruitment drive about 2 years ago, I think. It was for 8 positions. After I looked at the requirements and then the recruitment process I didn't even bother applying. Instead, I just filled out a lottery ticket, I had better odds there.

mjessick

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
One of my co-workers (a Canadian citizen) at NASA/JSC went almost all the way in the Canadian selection, making it to the "round of 20" . It was a great experience for her and quite a compliment.

What I found interesting was the numbers. Something like first selection in 17 years for Canadian astronauts and 5351 applied for 2 slots. The Americans in contrast had 9 slots available and had only 3500 applications.

Last edited:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Just to everyone who thinks that half joking is too serious, I really meant 7/8 joking.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That is why my plan gets even more crazy. To help offset the funds, we will place advertisements on the spacecraft and film commercials in zero g. :rofl:

Good luck with that, let us know how it works out for you.