Are there any cheats?

Keatah

Reaction score
most intelligent gamers..

I would have to say that orbiter pilots gotta be *the* most intelligent breed of gameplayers..! Playing anything just passes time.

Last edited:

AstroCam

Point loud end thataway
Donator
Reaction score
Zombie thread is aliiiiiive!

Seriously though, Orbinauts are some of the smartest gamers i know. Come to think of it, the pilots in Il-2: 1946 are pretty smart as well.....

Joystick and trhottle on the brain must increase your IQ or something.... :lol:

kevinvr

Reaction score
My DGIV blows up everytime I try to return to earth. It litirally explodes and pieces go everywhere. So I tried the landing scene and guess what "BAM" pieces of wings and other stuff scattered all over the place. Anyway i'm having great fun crashing this thing into the ground and burning up after some nice hot bounces on the atmosphere. I like the autopilot ascent part.... at least I can get into orbit without blowing up, but i.ve never stayed in orbit very long. It always seems to turn to earth and ....well u can figure the rest he he he!! Now I'm gonna try the manual!! ha ha ha:)

-Pv-

Reaction score
I agree the DGIV is about the most unforgiving craft in Orbiter. I also believe the Firefly will fail on a bad re-entry.

Gary's SF definitely do NOT explode. When the Challenger SRBs leaked and ignited the fuel flowing from the external tank, that was an explosion on a rare scale.

See what an interesting discussion Trolls can ignite?
-Pv-

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
When the Challenger SRBs leaked and ignited the fuel flowing from the external tank, that was an explosion on a rare scale.
Vehicle did not explode. That incorrect statement originated from early reports from the Range Safety Officer which was relayed through the Flight Dynamics Officer to the Flight Director and repeated by the MCC PAO.

Later footage and recovered debris analysis showed no effects of a violent explosion, just localized combustion and burn effects. Challenger, the orbiter broke up due to rapid onset of aerodynamic stresses brought on from being subject to rapid tumbling in a Mach 2+ airstream.

And only one SRB developed a leak, the right-hand SRB. And that was from the field joint where the aft Solid Rocket Motor segment mates with the aft center Solid Rocket Motor segment.

This was found to be due to wind-chill effects which blew cold temperatures off the External Tank Liquid Hydrogen tank in addition to the already low ambient air temperature at lift-off which caused both the primary and secondary O-Rings not to seal properly and allow hot-gases to leak through the joint.

Reason for the delayed vehicle destruction was found to be that the propellant melted and acted as make-shift plug. However, the vehicle encountered strong wind-shears during the ascent which caused the make-shift propellant plug to come loose and the leak was unstoppable from that point forward.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wow, a 1.5 page discussion on what defines an explosion...have any of you people thought of entering the diplomatic services? They'd love this level of pedantry. ;)

(I agree with the non-exploders. Sort of. Challenger didn't explode, but it's fuel tank might've).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
(I agree with the non-exploders. Sort of. Challenger didn't explode, but it's fuel tank might've).

Not even might have, the LH2 tank dome (the bottom end of the tank) dropped away before the short flash (which was partial combustion) and that not because of internal overpressure (which would be explosion), actually the tank suffered from low pressure already because of the leak in it's side.

If the Shuttle did not disintegrate that quickly from that point on, the crew would have opened the third LH2 pressurization valve, an emergency measure to keep the engines running as long as possible, before the low pressure pumps cavitate.

Possibly Challenger might have reached RTLS or TAL, if the leak in the SRB joint would have been in just a slightly different location.

And no, no diplomatic service for me. I would have problems, not going postal at the Hamas, then have problems to stop it and go on in Israel and finally march over west bank, Syria and Iran to Afghanistan. At least in China I would have to stop.

I leave the diplomacy better to people who can agree that it is maybe not an explosion, but explosion-like enough to find a compromise that it maybe exploded just a little and it was good to talk about it.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How about we just boil it down to this and agree to allow disagreement:
Layman's Challenger: It exploded
Professional's Challenger: The vehicle encountered significant aerodynamic stress which caused a rapid disintegration of vehicle resulting in an expanding cloud of debris.