Ares I-X Updates

reject

Reaction score
Wow, am I reading the graphic on page 11 of the press kit correctly? Some casings first flew on STS-61A/B/C? That's almost 25 years ago!

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Agree with Urwumpe on all points. For the effort put into this I wonder why they didn't at least use a 5-seg SRB and use water as the USS dummy mass. IIRC water makes a good LO2 simulator.

But for now I'll just enjoy the show and see what happens. They ought to get some data, at least.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Hopefully it won't destroy the pad... That's the most significant concern.
That is not really a concern anyway, as it is due to be replaced (except for the hardstand.

One not-so-crucially-necessary flight less might have been a good start in that.
Perhaps, but the rational was that the bulk of the money was already spent. I know it is bordering on sunk cost fallacy, but the data obtained from the flight will be pretty cheap when measured just against the money that would be saved by scrapping the flight.

MarkV

Reaction score
Hello,

First time poster here just wanting to say that I will be watching the launch with much enthusiasm. This mission may be a small step from a distance and altitude standpoint, but it is a giant leap in direction for NASA. The Moon awaits!

MarkV

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Static electricity rule threatens on-time liftoff

http://spaceflightnow.com/ares1x/091025weather/
A new constraint in the Launch Commit Criteria to prevent the buildup of static electricity on the Ares 1-X flight test vehicle as it accelerates away from Kennedy Space Center has reduced chances for favorable launch weather to 40 percent for the rocket's debut planned Oct. 27.
[...]
Winters said the design of the space shuttle made it immune to such static, but that other expendable vehicles flown from the Cape have always had to contend with the rule.
What design features of the space shuttle made it immune to triboelectric effect? Materials, shape, flight profile?

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well the shuttle is a very 'blunt' design, there are no real points on the ship for charge to travel. Also the grounding of the electronics would play a big role in this.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
I find the lack of updates in this thread disturbing.

Currently aiming for 11:19 EDT launch time, the only issue remains weather.

EDIT: pushed back to 11:24, which is confirmed to be the final opportunity for today.

EDIT2: Scrubbed for today due to weather constraints.

(watching the 1200kbps nasatv stream at http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1368163 )

Last edited:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org

Zoe

Reaction score
24 hour scrub turnaround: Next launch attempt Wednesday October 28 at 08:00 EDT/12:00 GMT.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
From what I understood from reading NSF, the Ares 1 and 5 will not have these problems with triboelectrification because they are shielded (grounded?) against this. I'm not sure on the details of this.

It's to do with the coating of the rocket, something about the material possibly causing a static build up as it flies. Shouldn't be an issue with the "real" Ares-I as that's in the pipeline to be addressed.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
From what I understood from reading NSF, the Ares 1 and 5 will not have these problems with triboelectrification because they are shielded (grounded?) against this. I'm not sure on the details of this.

I presume that the shuttle also has this shielding. The problem is for the 1-X only.

The issue regarding triboelectrification is only related to Ares I-X. Ares I-X is not shielded from triboelectrification, because in a bid to save money, NASA decided to manufacture it from stee! :p

Ares I & Ares V would not experience this problem.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What will the Ares I be made from? Aluminium? Titanium?

As with most things, Ares I won't be manufactured out of one material.

The second stage (along with the Orion spacecraft itself) will an aluminium-lithium alloy.

The first stage will be some sort of (presumably maraging) steel, just like the Shuttle boosters.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I went out to the Cape last night (I skipped school :p!) to see the 1-X go. Me and my mom stayed with some friends and woke up around 5 this morning because we thought traffic was going to be terrible. We were the first ones at the CCAFS viewing station at 5:30. We didn't leave until 11:30! Since this place wan't too far from my old school, I decided to pay some former classmates during their lunch. I spent about 2 minutes there when I was kicked off because previous students aren't allowed on compus without an appointment with a teacher. And now I just got back. Insane past 2 days :blink:!

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, it looks like it worked.. Congrats to the ARES I-X team!

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yeah, It worked. Both stages ended-up spinning after separation. I am not sure was it intended or not but it was a great launch.

Moonwalker

Reaction score
What an epic looking ascent, especially at max. dyn. press (hello Apollo). The pictures from the onboard camera looked amazingly smooth, well smooth on the whole. I expected much more visible vibration, but here was just nothing. The SRB did not even bend/move around like seen in the animated NASA videos. Phantastic. But I'm aware that we of course have to wait for the measurements. But I bet a ride on top of such a configuration might prove to be much smoother than expected.

However, it looked like the vehicle was tipping to one side shortly after lift off. Maybe due to the temporary non-ares software?