Question Armory Wars system - are those ideas feasible Orbiter-wise?

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
I really would like to start working on a project where I reconstruct two things:

1. A few of the 78 planets detailed in Claudio Sanchez's Amory Wars.

2. A particular "starter" craft called the Grail Arbor which is used by one of the protagonists, Inferno, as a moving base of operations for his rebellion.

grail_arbor_final_by_djomally-d397nj3.jpg

What I need some insight on is this:

1. The planets are described as interconnected by beams of energy. In theory, this may be possible, because the planets are arranged in a pyramid shape, and all orbit Sirius A at the same velocity and have the same day/night phases. Could this interlinking beam be feasible Orbiter-wise, or should it just be left to the Planets?

2. In the attached picture, the leftmost "arm" which is thrusting is actually a shuttle capable of entering atmospheres and remotely controlling the ship. The Multi-ship module included with Orbiter will work in that respect, however, is it possible to rig a vessel to start docked to one other vessel and allow it to contribute to the ship's dV without using the remote controller? As in wiring directly to the throttle commands while docked?

Thanks in advance.

Tommy

Reaction score
I'm not certain about issue #1. It MAY be possible, but I suspect that the mesh needed would be too large to render well. You could check out Kulch's Space Elevator, but even that is only a small fraction of the length you require.

As for #2, yes it is possible - but you will have to code your own .dll's to accomplish this. There are some good tutorials on setting up the compiler and coding for Orbiter - it doesn't require a Master's Degree in Comp Sci to make a vessel add-on. Many beginning coders have managed.