Gaming Artlav's Space Engineers Server

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I've been neglecting the server and I'm realizing my ships, which had a couple of weeks of fuel, could realistically still run out of fuel if the server is active enough and I'm not.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Sigh...
Server updated to the latest version.

This is actually somewhat annoying, more so that i will be on another continent for the whole spring.
I wonder if they plan on some sort of auto-updater, or a slower release cycle?

Or at least a place to download the server binary without Steam - i can script up the rest.

---------- Post added at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was at 23:47 ----------

P.S. There are a bunch of ships all over the far lands - an "Ore seeker" 4000 km away, lots of stuff 100 km away, "Scout drone/Fighter" a 1000km away, etc.

Anyone lost anything that needs teleporting?

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I hope they've fixed the jittery ships, or my career as a pirate is over.

Gerdih

Reaction score
That Ore Seeker fell from Orion while at cruise velocity. I dunno why the connector released it. I obviously didnt stop to pick up it, it can be deleted.

The lots of stuff 100k away must be me, no need to touch nothing there.

The scout Drone/Fighter is not mine.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sigh...
P.S. There are a bunch of ships all over the far lands - an "Ore seeker" 4000 km away, lots of stuff 100 km away, "Scout drone/Fighter" a 1000km away, etc.

Anyone lost anything that needs teleporting?

I recovered my drone but I lost 2 fighters. They can be a pleasant surprise to anyone that finds them. :lol:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
If the dedicated server does not require port forwarding, I would be able to host a server. It looks like it does though; even though for whatever reason the listen server works without port forwarding. (I wouldn't know if there's a networking reason that games work like this or just a quirk)
I'll have to try sometime. But Artlav has been doing a very good job hosting. :)

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I wonder if they plan on some sort of auto-updater, or a slower release cycle?

Or at least a place to download the server binary without Steam - i can script up the rest.
The server can be installed by using SteamCMD as standalone "Space Engineers Dedicated Server" tool (AppId: 298740). That Steam app doesn't require using actual user login, but can be installed and started anonymously.

I guess you'd only need to script stopping the service when a new update is found (by fetching it periodically with steamcmd) and starting it again after the update is done.

Gerdih

Reaction score
Work advancing quickly!

The mechanism side of the game really has to improve, I find pathetic using landing gears to be able to create rails where a joint can slide. I would prefer that before coding C++, which I think is a really nice idea though.

Last edited:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:tiphat: How many asteroids did you eat to make that??? I used up 1/2 of one repairing Big Red. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The mechanism side of the game really has to improve, I find pathetic using landing gears to be able to create rails where a joint can slide. I would prefer that before coding C++, which I think is a really nice idea though.

Remember that such girder-like unfinished block structures eat a lot of performance, aside of looking cool. :lol:

Gerdih

Reaction score
:tiphat: How many asteroids did you eat to make that??? I used up 1/2 of one repairing Big Red. :lol:

No idea, have not been a big deal with Orion doing all the job actually :)

I would vote for adding mods to the server as soon as we know which ones we want.
I specially would vote to add ones that do constructing more easygoing, which doesnt mean, in my opinion, it could do everything easy. I just think minecraft-like workarounds were enough. Also, some textures to do the game a little bit more pretty could be good. Of course all of this thinking on performance first.

Just my opinion

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, Oolab and I tried to get stuff done on the server, but were thwarted by the OF-Mining ship suddenly turning immobile.

After the ship suddenly stopped while cruising along with inertial dampeners off, the ship didn't respond to input. Although the gyroscopes could be manually overridden to turn the ship, mouse input did not turn the ship.

However, even though the gyroscopes could be overridden, even when the thrusters were overridden (and consuming power), the ship wouldn't move. Even with all thrusters off except the back thrusters, the ship still refused to move. :(

During deconstruction and reconstruction of the ship, the two ships, old and new, (connected with a landing gear), began rapidly bouncing and soon accelerated away.

tl;dr the OF-mining ship is probably heading away from the origin at a pretty good pace now, can you teleport it back Artlav?

Gerdih

Reaction score
Could I get my Builder-101 next to Orion? I had an accident and could not recover it due to suddenly disconnection.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Seems like we need a mod to automatically move pinged-away ships to an empty parking lot region of space.

Gerdih

Reaction score
Well, I think the movement of a lost ship is only justified when losing it have been caused due to external reasons

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
At least I started building my new ship as a station, so it won't fly away that easy, well until I convert it to a ship. :p

Gerdih

Reaction score
Tractor Beam

On my recent investigation on the Orion's journey, I have finally created a working prototype of a tractor beam. It works as follows:

Playing with spherical gravity generators to create 0 estable potential surfaces, I managed to create a surface little enough to mantain a mass object on a position of the space.

The first prototype can move an object on all directions, approach it, throw it, up, down, right, left.

Its quite funny to play with. I have not seen any example of this on youtube videos, just attracting and throwing machines. Does anyone know of more working examples?

Last edited:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This game doesn't have an option to run in legacy mode. Available options are:
Always update
Priority update
Update on launch

IMHO not a smart move considering the rate of updates. A permanent server requires a lot of work this way. :/