Question ASMR

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I read about this phenomenon on Andrew Sullivan's blog yesterday:
http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2014/10/13/aural-sex-ctd-2/

It's kind of a pleasurable tingling (not sexual) at the back of one's head and a languid sensation in the face, spine, and shoulders triggered (apparently) by soft, sibilant, repetitive sounds and/or close proximity to another person as when getting hair cut, a suit fitted, eyes examined or teeth cleaned. There are thousands of youtube videos, some with many millions of views meant to trigger the experience for people: another odd little corner of the internet.

Turns out I've always experienced this, but never knew it was unusual or thought about it at all. I also never knew it was possible to trigger it at will, but the video at the top of Sullivan's post sure works for me. (Specifically, the sound works -- the sibilants, soft dental stops, velar plosives, and binaural shifts -- the video and words are extraneous.) I'm curious whether anyone else has heard of it/experiences it.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
:rofl:

I was waiting for her to fly away on her broom.

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
:rofl:

I was waiting for her to fly away on her broom.

LOL. Yeah, it's truly cheesy. Roleplaying seems to be a thing in the ASMR 'community', probably because of the close proximity thing. (I'll submit that I do get the sensations when actually getting my hair cut or eyes examined, but the role playing videos don't do anything extra for me.) There are videos that mock this trend:

Manley ASMR

That one doesn't really work for me, except when he starts playing with his nut sack, but this one works really well:

Walter White ASMR

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
"... I'll pass."

E

ex-orbinaut

Yeaow! Would that squeaky packing material sound also qualify? No contrariety, and I am glad you like it, but the sensations discussed (whispering, proximity and stuff) has always been something that makes my hair stand on end and the rest of me cringe, with need to get away. Fast. Or I detonate.