Astrophoto thread (your own photos please)

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Here's my recent picture of the constellation of Orion.

nZ7blVZ.jpg

Messierhunter

Reaction score
I couldn't pass up the opportunity of another clear night so I took a crack at the horsehead this morning, despite a bright nearby moon. Used an Astronomik UHC filter to try to get around that as much as possible.

horseheadirisv2c_filteredweb.jpg

New version with redone processing using a denoising plugin for GIMP recommended to me by someone in one of my other astronomy groups:
ly5CgL1.jpg

I rather like the improvement. Here's the link to the plugin if anyone else wants to try it:
http://gmic.sourceforge.net/

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
That's like an astrophotographer's dream recognition there. Well done and well deserved!

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I ordered a job from the MicroTelescope Array, and here's the result. Raw image of M42.

v0PxWg1.jpg

Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not sure if truely astrophoto, but I had to share today's sunset, it was amazing.
tC9E8ck.jpg

H8HyNKE.jpg

(Those were quickly taken from my phone using two different exposure and white balance setups).

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Moon over Manhattan, April 2014:

qYrt3ve.jpg

Moon over Long Beach (CA) at sunrise, October 2011:

yjlkSei.jpg

steph

Reaction score
Comet Lovejoy, as seen on New Year's Eve, with a 5 MP antiquated Canon Powershot S2 IS. I used CHDK to do a 64 second exposure. It certainly isn't much, but that smudge was just in the right place and appeared in all the exposures I did that night. The comet was juuuust barely visible with the naked eye, but very, very faint.

lovejoy.jpg

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Not sure if truely astrophoto, but I had to share today's sunset, it was amazing.
--snip--
(Those were quickly taken from my phone using two different exposure and white balance setups).

Very impressive.

What phone/what app are you using? I don't think I could capture an image like that with my phone if I tried...

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Very impressive.

What phone/what app are you using? I don't think I could capture an image like that with my phone if I tried...
Well, My Xperia Z2's 20.7 Megapixel camera is sure helping it :p
I admit it, I more or less lied for the second photo, I took it using a set ot 5 bracketed shots composited directly on app with A Better Camera (free limited version, HDR and other modes unlockable on demand)
First photo was taken with the default camera app, although it might have been slightly corrected by Google Photos.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Scholz's star, said to have passed by our solar system less than a light year away some 70,000 years ago.
ScholzHDRLabeled2.jpg

Combining the red channel of my image with the Palomar Sky Survey 1 and 2 plates allowed me to also create a gif animation of its motion with each images spaced 30 years apart:
scholzanimationfullresolution.gif

It's the star right in the center. It appears to suddenly get brighter in my image because mine was really a red+infrared light view and this star is a very dim red dwarf (with a close brown dwarf companion) which is brighter in infrared.