Gaming Billions Stollen in Online Robbery

Kveldulf

Reaction score
link

As much as I love EVE-Online, am I the only one who finds it a little sad (or amusing) that its being reported by the BBC?

Glad I never invested in this bank.

Ark

Reaction score
Gah, I knew they shouldn't have given Bernie Madoff a cell with internet access...

Unstung

Reaction score
At least not much real money was taken, approximately 4,000 USD.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Wow...amazing how many scandals go on in that game..
Thats what I love about it

Nerull

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No real money was 'taken' - in game money was sold for real money, since people will pay for it. That's the only rule he broke, and part of the way the game economy works. If you can pull something like this off, and not get hunted down by bounty hunters or caught by the factions you've pissed off - nice job.

It's the same way it would happen in reality - there is no universal law that prevents you from stealing things, it's up to the people in the game to do something about it. When you sell currency for money - essentially taking the cash 'out' of the game world, you 'break' it, though. The economy is no longer purely in game, and that's why it's against the rules.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It's not the first time sometimes like this happens. There has been virtual property theft in another game whose name I can't remember, and bomb attacks in Second Life, not to mention valuable items theft inWoW.
No surprise, any metaworld with enough humans in it will inevitably become a mirror of RL...

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So..why is this newsworthy?
Looks to me like the BBC has just fallen another step down the slope to becoming a trashy tabloid style news provider rather than the serious and informative provider that it once was.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Looks to me like the BBC has just fallen another step down the slope to becoming a trashy tabloid style news provider rather than the serious and informative provider that it once was.

Serious information providing died the day TV became fully commercialized. News todays are classified as "entertainment", just like everything else.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Serious information providing died the day TV became fully commercialized. News todays are classified as "entertainment", just like everything else.

What day would that be? The start of Sky Broadcasting, or the start of ITV? I ask, because ITN had a good reputation for news reporting, and some ITV companies did do news/current affairs programs, World in Action, and some others I can't remember...
I do agree that 'news' reporting on tv generally in the UK has become infantile, with the exception of CH4 News, and maybe Newsnight; though that sometimes degenerates into a shouting match.

N.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I wonder, what "good" news program should look like?

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What day would that be?

Well it didn't start in the UK. It started with the American news networks and was slowly taken up elsewhere. Generally I'd hoped that the public broadcasters (BBC, SVT etc) wouldn't follow the same route, seeing as how they're not commercially funded, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How long now until a suicide bombing in FSX multiplayer, I wonder?
Considering that there are no weapons, a proper "bombing" is impossible. There are, however, already plenty of kids who fly around in multiplayer trying to hit people.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Considering that there are no weapons, a proper "bombing" is impossible. There are, however, already plenty of kids who fly around in multiplayer trying to hit people.
The very reason the O-F server is pretty much the only one I fly on. FSX Multiplayer is worse then Xbox Live at times.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well it didn't start in the UK. It started with the American news networks and was slowly taken up elsewhere. Generally I'd hoped that the public broadcasters (BBC, SVT etc) wouldn't follow the same route, seeing as how they're not commercially funded, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

The irony is not lost, the BBC were once the best of any broadcasting company, to Entertain, Inform, and Educate. In no particular order. They had a guarnteed income from the licence fee.
They where a reference that other broadcasters could compete against, What they are doing now just beggars belief. I have a slight vested interest, as I used to work for an old ITV company.
Why they competed against commercial television beats me.

N.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The very reason the O-F server is pretty much the only one I fly on. FSX Multiplayer is worse then Xbox Live at times.
Not that you're ever on the O-F server anyway :p

The trick is to not just try random gamespy servers; odds are they'll be terrible. I've found IFlyOnline to be a very nice group ( www.iflyonline.com ), and they often have tower controllers on. It's a lot less casual than we are (ie, they'll get annoyed if you buzz the tower at 600kts), but it's also a lot more casual than VATSIM so a great chance for flying with a controller.