Updates Blue Origin New Shepard News and Updates

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
You need to look at the overall long-term picture. This is just a test bed for technologies that they can patent, license or sell to others: - engines, landing system, parachutes, etc.
Having flown dozens of successful test missions is a good selling point.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You need to look at the overall long-term picture. This is just a test bed for technologies that they can patent, license or sell to others: - engines, landing system, parachutes, etc.
Having flown dozens of successful test missions is a good selling point.

Also, it seems to be about not crashing. Those testflights that failed did not become that public as for example for SpaceX. Its really a gradual development process with REALLY minimal risk.

Sadly. I think they could take some more risks now.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
From the FAQ:
astronaut will go through two days of training and preparations prior to flight.
Seems a bit short, no? I would have expected a week, or something, considering that's it 3 minutes weightlessness and 5.5 G during re-entry, combined with the emotional stress of flying the first manned flight.

Also, from the Terms and conditions:
Sit strapped into the CC’s reclined seat for forty (40) minutes, but up to ninety (90) minutes if there is a long launch delay, without getting up, and without access to a bathroom.
Have they learned absolutely nothing from Alan Shepard's flight? :p
(Shepard famously didn't have any urine collection system, which turned out to be a problem after long holds during the countdown, forcing him to urinate in his suit before launch)

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Have they learned absolutely nothing from Alan Shepard's flight? :p
(Shepard famously didn't have any urine collection system, which turned out to be a problem after long holds during the countdown, forcing him to urinate in his suit before launch)
Thus the name of the launch system. ?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The "show" starts at 15 minutes.
That went up faster than a Sprint missile! ????

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
28 million (+ 1.7 million in commission) dollars for a 10 minute spaceflight ... ? Oh well, it is all donated to a good cause.

Will be interesting to see how historic this flight will be, and how much it will be remembered in a decade or two. Seems like the buyer thinks that it will be, as we are in orbital spaceflight tourism price range here. But I doubt that it will be. I have heard about the Wright brothers, Blériot, Lindbergh and Earhart, but I have no idea who the first airplane passenger was.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
5.5 Gs reentry deccel at 82? The woman must have kept fit as hell, or she won't be having a good time... BO is taking quite a risk here, in my oppinion.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
5.5 Gs reentry deccel at 82? The woman must have kept fit as hell, or she won't be having a good time... BO is taking quite a risk here, in my oppinion.

Since it is for a really short instance of time, it should be no health risk. The capsule slows down from Mach 3, not Mach 25.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Orientation matters too. Short duration 5.5 g pushing you into a fully reclined seat isn't like pulling continuous 5.5 g in a fighter ejection seat with a much more upright incline which pulls all of the blood out of your head.

Besides, I am sure BO has participants signing their lives away on liability waivers.

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If you’d just laid out $28 million for a seat in the first ballistic 15 minute sub-orbital flight would you give it up because of a scheduling conflict? :oops:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
If you’d just laid out $28 million for a seat in the first ballistic 15 minute sub-orbital flight would you give it up because of a scheduling conflict? :oops:

Who knows? I wouldn't lay out $28 million for a 15-minute spaceflight in the first place. Orbit, on the other hand...

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
$28 million would be about the passive income made in one year by a barely billionaire invested purely in bonds. If they have 10s of billions in any better investment it's maybe a few weeks worth of passive income. Once you get rich enough, you make money far faster than you can spend it.