Gaming Bohemia Interactive Take On Mars

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
Na, that's what we're doing here. For the way from the launchpad to a succesfull reentry on mars, orbiter's perfect. ;)

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Apparently the lead developer enjoys Orbiter. Woo! We've got a KSP dev AND a Take On Mars dev.

Unstung

Reaction score
Does anybody have this problem when they view the command center?
SJdmt0a.jpg

When I try to run any missions, everything is gray.

uvZoeR2.jpg

Doesn't look quite right.

For anybody who downloads this game and encounters this texture problem, change the 3D resolution setting in options. If the game runs properly, textures should be seen on the daylight side of Mars in the main menu.

First mission, landing inside Victoria Crater:
2013-08-05_00001.jpg

Last edited:

MattBaker

Reaction score
I have to say I've been, well not particularly an enemy, but I disliked the idea of Steam. I like my gaming offline, I like my games in boxes I can see on my desk, I'm not really comfortable with a platform having data about me that isn't really needed.

But I have to say: I really liked how easy it was for me to buy this game on Steam. And since I'm skeptical because Steam, the PSN and basically everyone had data leaks: I really liked you were able to pay via mobile phone.
To be honest: If someone has my credit card number...But if someone has my phone number, *is there are sound representing I don't care?*

Sometimes the modern socialized gaming is great, I'm off to Mars.:cheers:

Unstung

Reaction score
Landing a rover and using its alpha particle x-ray spectrometer yesterday:
lSV68nG.jpg

dt0cxFi.jpg

Zvbsr0j.jpg

rxJeW4z.jpg

jUTLfyc.jpg

2gCqjnc.jpg

Album: http://imgur.com/a/ieYbw

For some reason the objective would never become complete no matter how many times I analyzed the second rock.

Unstung

Reaction score
Report it as a bug.
I'm not going to bother reporting another bug based on how frequently the reports are resolved. I've restarted the game (again) anyway and improved my 'strategy'. I've got back to that mission after an hour, so I'll see if I still have the same problem first.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not going to bother reporting another bug based on how frequently the reports are resolved. I've restarted the game (again) anyway and improved my 'strategy'. I've got back to that mission after an hour, so I'll see if I still have the same problem first.

Are you sure it didn't want you to use a different instrument?

Unstung

Reaction score
Are you sure it didn't want you to use a different instrument?
The APXS is the only instrument I currently have that can study rocks. I'm sure it's a bug. On a secondary mission I was unable to get close enough to another rock to scan it altogether even though the instrument was touching the rock. It may be because I swapped the position of the camera and spectrometer, thinking about it.

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
I'm not going to bother reporting another bug based on how frequently the reports are resolved.

In as much as I have enjoyed the pics and video feeds, I cannot understand how developers can have the nerve to charge for software that doesn't work correctly. NO standards.
If it's free, I can understand that, there's no charge and you take as is. I mean, you wouldn't buy a car that cut out after a mile, so why do people accept and buy software that is unreliable, it boggles my mind the low expectation of the user in this field. I'm sure I moaned about this kind of rippoff before, but I moan about alot really.

I wonder what would have happened to NASA if they incorperated such buggy software into their rockets, landers and probes. As users, your expectation, even for a Dollar must be of the same standard.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
In as much as I have enjoyed the pics and video feeds, I cannot understand how developers can have the nerve to charge for software that doesn't work correctly. NO standards.
If it's free, I can understand that, there's no charge and you take as is. I mean, you wouldn't buy a car that cut out after a mile, so why do people accept and buy software that is unreliable, it boggles my mind the low expectation of the user in this field. I'm sure I moaned about this kind of rippoff before, but I moan about alot really.

I wonder what would have happened to NASA if they incorperated such buggy software into their rockets, landers and probes. As users, your expectation, even for a Dollar must be of the same standard.

The game is Early Access. Meaning it's not even on its first level of "done". If you buy it and use it now, you have to understand that you've basically pre-ordered a game but been given access to early development versions.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
PennyBlack in the case of Bohemia Interactive, they have a very good record when it comes to continual development of there games and software. Look at OFP, Arma ect.
As for Early Access games, i see the good business model for it, It gives the developers cash to support the costs of developing games.

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

Unstung i reported a simula bug, the root cause was that although the rover had the correct instrument, it did not have all the instruments to complete the whole mission though, so it never compleated the last objective.

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
I suppose if you are aware of these facts and are willing to accept it. Seeing with this in mind, early and skint developers may stand a chance of releaseing a bugg free program. I sometimes don't see the bigger picture or forget to view it. :thumbup:

Unstung

Reaction score

As it has been said, the game is early access, so it's still in beta. It's on version 0.8, and there's some ways to go. However, most of the game works perfectly fine although I would like to see some improvements in the interface that can take up the majority of the screen. I bought the simulation early so I can support the developers because I like their idea. That is how I have contributed to the success of Take on Mars.

Realistically, it's ridiculous to seriously hold pretty ordinary things to NASA's standard (except "Better, Faster, Cheaper", that never worked well). A video game company is not responsible for the lives of astronauts or a two billion dollar rover.

Unstung i reported a simula bug, the root cause was that although the rover had the correct instrument, it did not have all the instruments to complete the whole mission though, so it never compleated the last objective.
The second time I played that mission, the objective became complete after analyzing the rock twice. I still had all the necessary instruments like the first attempt minus the solar panels (may as well just use batteries and save money). However, I've restarted the game again because I cannot continue until I complete every mission in the most efficient way possible. If this keeps up, I will never make it to the medium class of rovers (MER inspired). However, the game is enjoyable to look at, drive for reasonable distances... and crash down Victoria Crater.

MattBaker

Reaction score
I have played this game for at least ten hours and have to say the number of bugs I encountered is lower than the playing time in hours, so...:shrug:

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Same MattBaker, it is missing some features, but it seems remarkably stable. I have yet to encounter a game breaking bug and its only CTD'ed once on me.
Which is better than my recent history with orbiter.