Request Brilliant Pebbles

redrover

Reaction score
Late 1980's SDI proposal. It would involve a constellation of 3000 to 10,000 "pebbles," small interceptors stationed in low earth orbit. Designed to destroy Soviet ballistic missiles during boost phase.
Technical report at the link, if anyone cares to read. https://e-reports-ext.llnl.gov/pdf/212611.pdf
Brilliant_pebbles.jpg

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Late 1980's SDI proposal. It would involve a constellation of 3000 to 10,000 "pebbles," small interceptors stationed in low earth orbit. Designed to destroy Soviet ballistic missiles during boost phase.
Technical report at the link, if anyone cares to read. https://e-reports-ext.llnl.gov/pdf/212611.pdf
Brilliant_pebbles.jpg

I found it a dry read, but it has some interesting spots. I like the illustrations. Interesting idea, too bad it never made it anywhere. So what launch vehicle is used to put them in orbit? If there are that many, what happens when they go bad, or worse yet never get used? Are they a menace to navigation? Or do we command them to comit suicide deorbits?

Adelanthal

Reaction score
Brilliant Pebbles was originally meant to be lofted by a Delta platform. Upon launch, they then closed with their target, generally using IR, using their absurdly over-sized RCS thrusters and attempted a kinetic kill. The energies involved were .... impressive.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I like how they switched the lights off in test#2. See if it works in the dark?

N.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Am I the only one who was terrified watching those things blast themselves around, shaking the camera? They kind of scare me. :shifty:
picture.php

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Reminded me of the Dragon AT missile hop-hop-hopping over the ground like a bunny on fire. :)
Don't know about its ICBM-kill effectiveness, but as an ASAT system it would be a killer. Literally.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's the way it has been developing up to now. All those microsats ("technology demonstrators") are there not only to "inspect" from the outside, but also to kill in many subtle ways.

redrover

Reaction score
BTW, the DC-X rocket prototype was funded by SDIO to help launch and maintain the massive constellation cheaply. The Delta Clipper SSTO was planned specifically for military duties (polar orbit capability, long cross-range, etc.)

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

I found it a dry read, but it has some interesting spots. I like the illustrations. Interesting idea, too bad it never made it anywhere. So what launch vehicle is used to put them in orbit? If there are that many, what happens when they go bad, or worse yet never get used? Are they a menace to navigation? Or do we command them to comit suicide deorbits?

They had a km/s of delta v, so I believe suicide deorbits would be the most likely option. And the whole point of the system was to not be used. Use would entail full scale thermonuclear war...:uhh:

Last edited: