Building stations!

Dimkin

Reaction score
Hello all!
For the last 2 days I'm experimanting with XR5 and SSBB and I have a couple of questions...

1. In what order I should start building my space station? (When I put the first module I then need to find it next time when I launch and align to it.)
  2. The are some blocks that I can't put inside the XR5, it says that they won't fit, if so why they exist then? (Like the communication center, it says that it will take 2 slots but when I try to put it in the cargo bay it says no room!)
  3. I know this question was asked a million times already and yet I'll ask it again... What the heck should I do with DF? I know it's good for building SS but I just can't understand how to use it! Is there any tutorials (not manuals) for it? (if no, please someone whos good at it, make the world a favour and make one :))
  4. Off topic question: I saw that while docking to ISS you can see a path that leads you to the dock, like a line of rectangles that you must enter through them, last time I was trying to dock I didn't see them, why? I did see the info on docking MDF though. But it's a bit hard for me to use it, because I never know which dock is the one that I'm aiming for.
Thanks a lot.. :speakcool:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Hello all!
For the last 2 days I'm experimanting with XR5 and SSBB and I have a couple of questions...

1. In what order I should start building my space station? (When I put the first module I then need to find it next time when I launch and align to it.)
  2. The are some blocks that I can't put inside the XR5, it says that they won't fit, if so why they exist then? (Like the communication center, it says that it will take 2 slots but when I try to put it in the cargo bay it says no room!)
  3. I know this question was asked a million times already and yet I'll ask it again... What the heck should I do with DF? I know it's good for building SS but I just can't understand how to use it! Is there any tutorials (not manuals) for it? (if no, please someone whos good at it, make the world a favour and make one :))
  4. Off topic question: I saw that while docking to ISS you can see a path that leads you to the dock, like a line of rectangles that you must enter through them, last time I was trying to dock I didn't see them, why? I did see the info on docking MDF though. But it's a bit hard for me to use it, because I never know which dock is the one that I'm aiming for.
Thanks a lot.. :speakcool:

SSBB wasn't made with the XR spacecraft in mind. For some of the bigger modules, try either the [ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3124]Big Spaceplane[/ame] or Kulch's Energia.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
You also may like this
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3152"]Big space plane 4.0 scenario generator 1.1[/ame]

Reaction score
@1= Depends really on what you intend for the future of your station is. If you are creating a refuel station, I'd probably make sure a fuel tank is one of the first. If its going to be a checkpoint for incoming cargo, or a cargo handling depot, definitely dock first, ask questions later. A research center should include a hab module first, but nothing is really required to be first.

Remember that any station should be placed in orbit with parts that will have it functioning (perhaps not in full capacity) but it would be pointless to have a truss the first thing in space.

When it comes down to it, its all just personal preference.

As for finding the station, I can find a UMmu in orbit from launch, remember... It really doesn't matter how big or small, just matters if it has a docking port. If you can use the docking MFD then you can find it in space.

@2= Use BSP4, since its from the same manufacturer. Everything should fit inside. Also make sure to use ar81's BSP4 Scenario Generator.

@3= Well, I use it the noob way... without powering it up. I really don't know much about it.

@4= Its most likely that you didn't press send data to HUD using the button in the MFD. That seems to sound like your problem...

Dimkin

Reaction score
Ok, so I've tried some basic tutorials with the DF and I still cant get it! I'm unable to dock with modules, and I do not understand how it works. If somone is willing to write about it a bit more, I'll be gratefull.

As for finding the station, I can find a UMmu in orbit from launch, remember... It really doesn't matter how big or small, just matters if it has a docking port. If you can use the docking MFD then you can find it in space.

As for finding modules in space: When I'll fly for the next time I'll need first of all to align planes and then synchronize orbits. How would I do that? Will I see the module in the "spacecraft" section in TGT menu?
And also, It has no transmitter that I can use to dock. How does it works?

Thanks! :speakcool:

EDITED: And one more question... What's BSP4 is?

Dimkin

Reaction score
Is there an option to scale or chenge the size of the big parts of SSBB to fit XR5?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How would I do that? Will I see the module in the "spacecraft" section in TGT menu?
Yes, you should be able to see it.

And also, It has no transmitter that I can use to dock. How does it works?
There's a "cheat" around that (cheat in the sence that it is not very realistic). In the Dock MFD punch "Target", select the Module from the spacecraft list and select a docking port. Then you'll have the docking port locked on in your docking MFD no matter if it has a transponder or not. Press "Hud" on the MFD, and you'll have it locked to your docking hud too.

Is there an option to scale or chenge the size of the big parts of SSBB to fit XR5?

Well, if you edit the config you can adjust the measurements in the XR-5 specific section. You'll be then able to put it into the bay, but it will stick out of the sides of course... Scaling the models isn't something I would do, since it will look funny once built into the station.

Dimkin

Reaction score
So theres no ideal solution for me if i want to use only the XR5 vessel? (actualy when i tried to put the items that do not fit near the XR5 it didnt look bigger than the cargo bay. Where can i find the measurments of the cargo bay?)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah, no. Not the measurements of the cargo-bay. The measurements of the Modules! In the config of the different modules, there should be an XR5 section, where their measurements are noted. You got to change those.

Alternatively, use this here as a substitute for the implemented Cargo system of the XR5:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3262"]Universal Cargo Deck, release 4[/ame]

It's a bit more work to get everything stowed, but it's a lot more versatile too.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
To have docking port frequencies you need to add IDS to your scenario object.
See [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2735"]Tutorial: How to make scenarios for Orbiter v1.5[/ame]

Dimkin

Reaction score
Im sorry to dig into this topic again and again. One last question. (Im just trying to order all the mess in my head once and for all :))
I like the XR5 the most and I want to try to build SS with the help oe XR5 and the DF only.
What addons should I install to get it all work propery?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
XR5 and SSBB 4 are self-explanatory. I would recommend the above posted Cargo manager as well as Universal RMS by the same author. Other than that, I don't see anything that would be helpfull...