Bunch of little questions

Dimkin

Reaction score
Hello all. I've opened this topic because I think that my question is too little to take new thread. I think it will be wise to post little question on this thread every time anyone have them. And now, for the question:

Yesterday i was trying to set my Rinc with ISS to the minimum. Eventually I did but it raised a question: I was wondering what would happen if I will make normal or anti-normal burn at ApA or at PeA? And what would happen if I will make PRO GRD or RETR GRD burn at AN or DN points?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
If you make a an+/- burn the same thing happens, it doesn't matter where you are.

Since AN/DN points vary with your target, you could well be burning at Pe or Ap or anything in between.

Happy Orbiting

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Burning normal+/- at any point will rotate your orbital plane about your current position. The reason you burn +/- at the nodes is so that you can rotate the current plane to match the target plane. If you don't burn at the node, then you won't be on the target plane, so the you won't be able to set your current plane to the target plane. It will still rotate the current plane though (about the line between the focus of your orbit and your current position).

Burning prograde will always increase the altitude of the position at the opposite side of your orbit, regardless of whether you are at ApA/PeA. Retrograde will always decrease it.

Dimkin

Reaction score
it would drift out of a usable position and be space trash some poor Orbiter newbie would crash into
:)

This is more a technical question. Each time i run scenario I upload all the bases and the ISS and Mir from scratch?! How can I keep all the chages I've made? Lets say that I took DG to the moon, but the next time i want to start another scenario I want this DG to be there at the moon where I've left it. is it possible?

Thanks

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
:)

This is more a technical question. Each time i run scenario I upload all the bases and the ISS and Mir from scratch?! How can I keep all the chages I've made? Lets say that I took DG to the moon, but the next time i want to start another scenario I want this DG to be there at the moon where I've left it. is it possible?

Thanks

Use the "(Current State)" scenario or quick save it.

Dimkin

Reaction score
Use the "(Current State)" scenario or quick save it.

No, what I mean is if I want to fly to the moon one more time then I need to load the scenario again to be close to launch window. But I want this scenario to include everything I've already done in other scenarios...
Can I do that?

Edited: How can I edit scenarios? (except with notepad)

Thanks

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No, what I mean is if I want to fly to the moon one more time then I need to load the scenario again to be close to launch window. But I want this scenario to include everything I've already done in other scenarios...
Can I do that?

Well, like i said: Use the current state.

If you need a new spacecraft or payload, you can use the scenario editor to add it.

Also you need no launch window to get to the moon unless you plan for special lighting conditions. The moon does not run away.

EDIT: OK, you don't know the scenario editor yet. Enable the module "ScnEditor" in the "Modules" tab of the launch pad and press CTRL+F4 in simulation to start it.

Dimkin

Reaction score
Also you need no launch window to get to the moon unless you plan for special lighting conditions. The moon does not run away.

Ok, so why on the tutorial explained that you should wait for the launch window? Is it more fuel efficient sometimes?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ok, so why on the tutorial explained that you should wait for the launch window? Is it more fuel efficient sometimes?

Which tutorial?

It is slightly more fuel efficient sometimes, but the problems is something else: You have only few spaceports, which are coplanar with the moon sometimes. coplanar transfers are simpler, but allow only rare launch windows (about two per year).

But you can also do non-planar transfers, which you can do anywhere and anytime. These have only a slightly higher fuel costs (764 m/s in the worst case of 90° RInc, bad for realistic add-ons sometimes, but generally no problem).

Practically all missions to the moon had been non-planar, but Apollo used a very low relative inclination (angle between the orbit plane of the moon and the orbit plane of the transfer orbit).

If you do station building on the moon or other regular missions, you will need learning non-planar transfers. I prefer using IMFD for calculating them, because it is :censored: accurate and has a better visualization as the standard transfer MFD.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I know you only want to help, but his questions are currently centered around lunar transfers. ;)

I am asleep.
I had to provide training to people in the opposite side of the world, so I am absolutely asleep.
I had to stay awaken when I normally would sleep.
I already edited to point out to rocket science for dummies tutorial which fits better.

If it is about transfers...
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3403"]Tutorial: Concepts for Interplanetary MFD 4.2.1[/ame]

Dimkin

Reaction score

It is a very useful link you wrote, thank you! But still one thing I can not understand: In the book Go Play In Space written:
A launch window is the date and time (or range of dates and time) during
which a particular flight is feasible or favorable in terms of the position of the target

So why to wait for the launch window if you can just launch whenever you want and if nedeed wait on the orbit?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Because the nearer you are to a launch window, the less fuel you will need to actualy make the trip.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
and in the real world you don't want to be waiting in orbit for very long as you have a limited amount of consumables (water, oxygen, food, etc).

Dimkin

Reaction score
A little question: when IMFD shows me the burn time it takes into consideration the maximum acceleration of the particular vessel Im flying?
If so, what should I do if I want to make the burn with half of my maximum burn power? (except "burn time * 2")

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You might want to read the IMFD manual for this, but I think you can set the Autoburn max thrust in IMFD's configuration menu so it will burn how mever much you want it to, but check the manual, don't quote me on it.