Search Buran Spacecraft?

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
is there a good Buran Spacecraft addon available for orbiter 2010? i thought it would be nice to see "the other shuttle"

thanks

diogom

Reaction score
There are three Buran addons available, but if I'm not mistaken, none works in 2010.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
As with many other addons that stopped working, the easiest way would be to reuse the meshes (there's some good work there). There's a spacecraft3.dll version of Atlantis so there's already a nice workbase. Besides the shuttle's orbital engine (Buran didn't have one) the parameters should be almost the same.

A Buran VC is something that I always wanted to do....

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Besides the shuttle's orbital engine (Buran didn't have one) the parameters should be almost the same.
Yes, it did. What it didn't have was any main propulsion system engines equivalent to the SSMEs. Instead those were mounted on the Energia LV.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also Buran had many differences especially because it was build merging US research data that was published with Russian technology - its aerodynamics are for example much better as the STS, with less drag and thus better glide behavior.

And it was meant to have two robot arms, like the Shuttle initially. But the Shuttle got reduced to one already very soon, while Buran kept it.

And Buran had non-toxic fuels. GOX and Kerosene. And AFAIR slightly more payload capability. But also a smaller crew compartment.

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
If only Buran flew more than just once. On paper, it's much better that STS. I would have liked to see how the Russians would have handled the extended operations that are involved with space planes.

diogom

Reaction score
I have read somewhere, though not from a very secure source, that some russian scientists are trying to revive the Buran program, meaning it would fly again and replace the US Shuttle. Though, I think that's very unikely.
But nevertheless, it would be great.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I have read somewhere, though not from a very secure source, that some russian scientists are trying to revive the Buran program, meaning it would fly again and replace the US Shuttle. Though, I think that's very unikely.
But nevertheless, it would be great.

Doubtful, since Buran is essentially a relict of the past and belongs to this past. But you could still learn a lot from it. The later spaceplane design MKS by molniya is based on Buran experience, and pretty cute... wish it would be build.

http://buran.ru/htm/molniya.htm

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Yeah, Isn't MAKS the cutest little thing? Although the departure from the carrier aircraft might be a little scary (to me at least). The craft itself looks to be quite capable for short missions.

I'd heard a rumor that they were looking to restart the program (around the time as X-37B hit the news).

Last edited:

diogom

Reaction score
As with many other addons that stopped working, the easiest way would be to reuse the meshes (there's some good work there). There's a spacecraft3.dll version of Atlantis so there's already a nice workbase. Besides the shuttle's orbital engine (Buran didn't have one) the parameters should be almost the same.

A Buran VC is something that I always wanted to do....

Where can I find that SC3 Atlantis? I've looked in OH, can't find it.

diogom

Reaction score
So I looked for it, came here to ask where it is, and I had I all along n my SC3 folder. :facepalm: I'm thinking of making a Buran that works in 2010P1. Nothing very complicated, just a SC3, with this: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=313"]BuranDEV[/ame]
Of course, I'll do it if no one else isn't doing it already!

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
So I looked for it, came here to ask where it is, and I had I all along n my SC3 folder. :facepalm: I'm thinking of making a Buran that works in 2010P1. Nothing very complicated, just a SC3, with this: BuranDEV
Of course, I'll do it if no one else isn't doing it already!

Long ago I make this for Buran,SC3...but don't remeber what version of Buran,maybe 1st one...take it if any help...

Last edited:

diogom

Reaction score
There are three Buran addons available, but if I'm not mistaken, none works in 2010.

So I was mistaken. I tried the CVEL Buran, and it works fine on my pc.

EDIT: Never mind, I was running the SC3 version's scenario :facepalm:, but thought it was the CVEL scenario. That's what happens when you have similar stuff in your Orbiter install. So CVEL not working for 2010.

Last edited:

Przemek77

Soyuz pilot
Reaction score
There was two Buran's with VC (poorly and unrealistic), one of them is here [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2181"]BURAN2[/ame]. I don't thnk if it works in 2010, in 2006 working perfectly.

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If anyone is still considering the 2010-P1 version of Buran, I'll be one of the downloaders. Just the orbiter is all that is needed since we can use kulch's booster to get it into orbit... Might want to think of incorporating Universal Cargo for easy building a launch vehicle to orbit that fictious Russian Space Station

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Agreed. Kulch's ENERGY Project doesn't quite look right without a Buran launch mixed in!

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Been messing with the OK-GLI sc3 configs trying to get a more realistic flight performance.
Together with the Baikour tiles and detailed bases this is very enjoyable.

111007134224kpoweredbur.jpg

I MIGHT do a simple VC for this, based on this photomosaic I've been building:

pkgli.jpg

I've also messed with the textures for the Buran orbiter and (even though unaccurate) I got some satisfying results. Yes, the cockpit is a bit rough but some re-texturing is enough to get a good experience.
110927231435buran.jpg

110927231511buran.jpg

Again, I'm not committing to any release or further development, just saying that I can be done and it's something I'm having fun with :)

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Can't help to share this video of OK-GLI taking off, flying and landing!

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Just a small update regarding the VCs.

I'm building a simple 3D model for the OK-Gli, but it will also work for the orbital version. It's a matter of changing the textures.
Again, no promises regarding any release. Anyway, if someone want's to do a proper .dll version of this I might finish it faster :thumbup:

buranpit2.jpg

Notice that the window arrangement is different from the shuttle. Dimensions are approximate, but close enough for me. When viewed from the pilot position it will look good.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
First orbiter mesh test. Camera position needs to move forward. Like the overall feel.
If we had classic aviation instrument MFDs (gauges) it would look much better.
(actually a nice idea for someone to do...)
But I'm happy with the result. :)

clipboard01xe.jpg