Flight Question Calculating Windows

Nistenf

Reaction score
Hello!
My question is: how do I calculate windows for traveling to different planets, for doing slingshots, etc?
Right now went I want to go to ie Mars I use a date I already know there's a window.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mister Mxyzptlk

Reaction score
http://www.clowder.net/hop/railroad/sched.html

This is a website that has launch windows from most of the planets to most of the planets.

You can do it from within transX if you learn transX and flytandems surrogate planning tutorial.

I hope this helps.

I have to make up some of my bad boy points somehow..........

You must go through a steep learning curve with transX in order to master slings grasshopper.

Flytandem has the most excellent tutorials, I suggest you bite the bullet and seriously study them if you want to master travel in the Solar system.

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.clowder.net/hop/railroad/sched.html

This is a website that has launch windows from most of the planets to most of the planets.

You can do it from within transX if you learn transX and flytandems surrogate planning tutorial.

I hope this helps.

I have to make up some of my bad boy points somehow..........

You must go through a steep learning curve with transX in order to master slings grasshopper.

Flytandems has the most excellent tutorials, I suggest you bite the bullet and study them if you want to master travel in the Solar system.

I could add to that... this:
Take the time to learn TransX... then IMFD and then go back to TransX.
You'll be able to compete, with some of the best, in this forum...

Tommy

Reaction score
It's also possible to find windows with IMFD, check the IMFD Full Manual/Playbacks for the "how to". No math is required, just a simple, repeatable process. Requires a bit of patience, that's all.

halcyon

Reaction score
Is there a website that shows ISS launch windows from KSC?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also, you can try the dates planned for past or future Mars probes launches...

Tommy

Reaction score
Is there a website that shows ISS launch windows from KSC?

Launch windows for that flight occur quite often. Just open AlignPlanesMFD and launch at TN = 360, launch North East if approaching the descending node, and South East if approaching the ascending node.

In Real Life, (ie, shuttle missions, etc) it always sounds like the windows are few and far between, but that scarcity is artificial. Real Life spacecraft don't launch unless the entire flight has been meticulously planned - and the plans verified by multiple simulations. Also, some windows are better than others - while the main issue is to launch into the correct plane, you also have to consider how many orbits it will take to sync orbits (real craft have limited life support, etc).

A website giving all the windows for a KSC - ISS mission would have a LOT of entries, and have to list estimated sync times, etc. The windows that are actually usable in real life are far more limited because of the time and resources needed to plan (and verify said plan) - only the "best" windows receive the attention required for a "Real Life" mission.