Installation can' t seem to install any thing?

RobertPeacock

Reaction score
Hello. I still play orbiter . I still have my problem. And I am montering the forum. Windows says ther is nothing wrong with my windows 7. program that they can see. If any one has a ASUS. and they had any problems with installing ZIP files I would like to hear about it. THANKS ROBERT>

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I'll ask this one last time.

Do the default scenarios work? No point in trying to fix something if the install is broken.

No point in looking at Zip files, local light sources or anything else until it's been established if the default scenarios work.

RobertPeacock

Reaction score
YES ! everything else works fine. I even have DELTA IV . And it works just fine. Ummu.works .ummu2.0 works . Every thing in the basic orbiter is great. MY only problem is ZIP files. I have done every thing I know. I have had some of these files in my launch pad. When I click to load them .I get a critical error message. And orbiter crashes to my desk top. All addons do that except the ones with there own install files. like the ones I mentioned. Thanks for your time Robert

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Robert, are you at all familiar with the basic operations of Windows and computers in general? At what level would you describe yourself? Newbie, Intermediate or Expert?

To me it sounds your still deep inside the Newbie field, with no general Windows or computer experiences to talk about.

All this leads me to the conclusion that due to your unfamiliarity with zip files, you have installed things wrong. This explains why you don't have any problems with add-ons that came with their own installer.

I would suggest that you read the documentation included with the add-ons you are having problems with to make sure that you have not missed a pre-requisite or installation step.

RobertPeacock

Reaction score
I have had a computer for over 10 years .I had flight sim 2002, 2004 flight sim x I never had a problem with any of them.I have never been on a form before. that was new to me. I know how to download files I don't know how to define expert .I am probaly not an expert. but I am not new to computers. I have ansered every question asked of me . I have sent every thing about my computer that was asked of me.I feel that I am becomeing a PEST.I didn't mean to. People are saying there is no since in trying to fix this problem "IF' I thought that is what this form was for? SORRY. ROBERT.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Robert, have you ever manually unzipped something before? This is how a proper add-on's file structure should look like:

Proper_addon_file_structure.jpg

And this is an add-on that is improperly packed:
Improper_addon_file_structure.jpg

As many here has done, I would recommend using 7-Zip instead of the default Windows zip manager.

It is so much better as it allows you better control of your actions.

Edit:
As you can see, the properly packed add-ons has folders matching those of Orbiter's default folders. If a single file ends up somewhere where it doesn't belong, that could lead to a CTD. Orbiter places high expectations on you as a operator, so it isn't just a "zip-and-play" program. You need to know what you are doing.

Last edited:

RobertPeacock

Reaction score
Yes sir. I have 7 ZIP in my computer now . And I have seen thoughs files many times HA HA. But there may be something I am doing wrong. I will keep trying THANK YOU ROBERT.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Can you describe, step by step, what you are doing from the download to the unzip to the install and a screenshot of the error would be useful.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is all very weird. It seems you're doing something wrong indeed, but it's really tough to figure out what it is without seeing it...

You could make a short video with a screen-recording software of how you install your add-ons, if you're really doing something wrong then we should notice it on the recording.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...But there may be something I am doing wrong. I will keep trying THANK YOU ROBERT.
Good that you'll keep trying! :thumbup:

Since it's really not that difficult, and since all of us have already answered to you with screenshots, instructions, tips, and what-not, you should really listen to those asking for a video, or for a VERY DETAILED step-by-step list of all and every action you perform.

You're right, there must be something you are doing wrong...

RobertPeacock

Reaction score
I reinstalled my Windows program . And I can now Install addons . I have wideawake int. All of it except surface tex? And I have XR2 . Working Finally .Thank all of you for your HELP. I think I still have a file or two wrong.But I will work them out .THANK YOU Robert

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Glad that you finally solved this! I knew we could do it!! :thumbup:

Pretty please, I don't mean to be rude, but next time you post something, try to give some better formatting to your thoughts, before casting them out in real-time as they're produced by your brain.
You could make yourself understand more easily.

:cheers: & :hailprobe:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
You'll need to manually edit your base.cfg file (located in the CONFIG folder) to rid yourself of those bright white blocks on WideAwake International.

It's in the manual (for AIA), a simple copy/paste action and you will have some nice looking buildings instead of white bricks.

Awesome that you got it working! I've been away for a week and haven't been able to keep track.

RobertPeacock

Reaction score
Thank you Phantom Cruiser. YES its great. I have to put files in manually but thats ok. I do have some I am not to sure of but every thing is working right now. I am afriade to ask any more questions for awhile.I will work the files out my self. thank you . Your friend ROBERT.

RobertPeacock

Reaction score
To Phantom Cruiser Robert here.I was wondering if you would mind helping me install a rocket any rocket .I cant seem to get any? Ive done every thing I know. I have a launch pad at wideawake with nothing on it. There is a file called space craft I don't know what to do with. Its in the wideawake CON.Fig file. says GPLP_gpmlp and another Gplp_resmlp. Don't know if this has any thing to do with it or not. Found the files for the white buildings .Don't know exacly were to put them eather.Tryed every thing . I will watch the forum for a answer THANKS ROBERT.