Programming Question Can you put ANYTHING you want into a cargo bay?

Gordontrek

Reaction score
I'm really starting to get into creating scenarios for Orbiter, and I have a rather ambitious project I'm working on now. Believe it or not I've been making good progress on it, except one important issue I can't seem to work out.
I don't want to reveal too much (for fear of someone stealing my idea; not that I don't trust you but you understand!), but my scenario involves launching in an XR-5, rendezvousing with a derelict craft in deep space (meaning a bit past the orbit of the Moon), putting it in the XR-5's cargo bay, and bringing it back to Earth. The derelict craft in question comes from another add-on that's pretty popular. So my question is, is there any way I can program the scenario file, or is there an add-on available, that would allow me to put this craft into the cargo bay of the XR-5 in-flight?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me. If you need me to clarify any more details I'd be happy to do so (if I have to!).

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hang on, there is a 'hangar tutorial for that...

Found it
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3853"]Tutorial: Configuring Payloads for XR Vessels[/ame]

I've done this with quite a few SC3 craft. See if it works for you

Last edited:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Yes, all you have to do is add a few lines to the derelict craft's .cfg file. [Check out the section titled Creating Your Own Payload Module on page 69 of the XR Flight Operations Manual for details.] However, since I assume this is a relatively large cargo, in addition to adding the three required XR Payload lines (XRPayloadEnabled = true, Description, and Dimensions) you will probably also need to 1) uncomment the VesselsWithExplicitAttachmentSlotsDefined = XR5Vanguard line + edit the XR5Vanguard_ExplicitAttachmentSlots = ... line so you can define a single, explicit payload slot that the vessel can attach to, and 2) play around with the PrimarySlotCenterOfMassOffset coordinates so your derelict vessel sits correctly in the bay when attached in its defined slot.

Also, it's likely that some other O-F members have already done something similar, so perhaps one of them would be kind enough to post an example. :cool:

EDIT:
Ah, I see PhantomCruiser has already posted a tutorial. :thumbup:

Last edited: