Problem Cant land at Brighton Beach in DGIV...

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So I'm getting acclimated again to orbiter with the 2016 version. I haven't done many flights in a few years.

Today I was somewhat disappointed near the end of my journey.

What I've got
Orbiter 2016
Hi-Res Textures
Dx9 Client
OrbiterSound
DGIV
IMFD
AutoSave Module

Launched the DGIV from Cape Canaveral no problem. Made 1/2 orbit, used IMFD Target Intecerpt to target the moon in 24 hours, No problem. Arrived at moon using IMFD Base Approach, targeting Brighton Beach, no problem. Lunar Orbit, no problem. I got all the way to Brighton Beach in-sight, and decending towards it about 80m/s thru 3500m altitutde... Around 3000m I heard the computer voice come on and say "1000"... ut oh. I can see Brighton Beach, I'm clearly still 3km up. at 2500m she announced 500m. Approaching 2000m altitude and still decending toward brighton beach, I heard her go... 100, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, crash to desktop. I was still about 2k over Brighton Beach.

I reloaded the scenario from the autosave 1 minute earlier.

This time I used the DGIV auto descend.... this time again at about 3k altitude she announced 1000, then 500 at about 2500m... then the DGIV auto pilot kicked on and began to slow my descent like as if i was actually coming up on the ground... at 2100 she started counting down, 100, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, landed... at 2000m up... hmm.. the DGIV autopilot shutoff and says "Landed" and I heard the sound of the wheels touching down, but then i started falling, further. My altitude showed negative as I continued to descent toward brighton beach... I used the hover engines manually to land on the pad and I did successfully land on the target.

I'm just wondering what the heck is going on up at 2000m that caused me to crash into fake ground the first try...

Thanks

Russ

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
DG-IV probably still isn't recompiled to 2016 standard. Before 2016 edition all planets were flat so autopilot was written to grab local "sea level" and try to zero VSPEED at 0 altitude. With terrain model AP needs to acomodate for local ground level (above or below) sea level and AP of the DG-IV doesn't do that yet. You'll need to wait till updated version of DG-IV is released

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just ran one of the Brighton Beach sims myself. Brighton Beach landing pad sits 2.54km below the surface line, according to SurfaceMFD.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Over at Dansteph forum, no update news yet...
We are all stuck and waiting.

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't think it's a DGIV problem, but I'll surely re-test with another vessel.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
XR crafts are not doing it in 2016, the descent auto pilots used to fail at sea level also until the new version came out.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
jroly is correct; the bug reported here is because the DGIV (and its autopilots) have not yet been updated to work with Orbiter 2016, which is also why it CTD'd. Just have to wait...

SpaceCowboyJoe

Reaction score
jroly is correct; the bug reported here is because the DGIV (and its autopilots) have not yet been updated to work with Orbiter 2016, which is also why it CTD'd. Just have to wait...

Totally. I've landed in BB with the XR2 in 2016 without any problem. Altitude indication is actually going up and down with the HUD in surface mode but it totally makes sense as it's due to the ground modelling.
I was caming from a weird inclination plane such that I had actually to get over a mountain and BB was right beyond.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Over at Dansteph forum, no update news yet...
We are all stuck and waiting.

Regardless I'm as happy as a pig in shace with 2016. There are plenty of addons I'd like to see updated such as ASMO. The DG4 while excellent is not as good as the XR's with their easier although less functional autopilots, preference here is of course on the pilots and it would have pained me if the XR's were not updated so I understand your pain. 2016P1 will see lots of new addons as well, I'm sure Dan will update them when he is ready.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Totally. I've landed in BB with the XR2 in 2016 without any problem. Altitude indication is actually going up and down with the HUD in surface mode but it totally makes sense as it's due to the ground modelling.
I was caming from a weird inclination plane such that I had actually to get over a mountain and BB was right beyond.

Yeah come in from the West or WSW, and you have a 3-4km hill to get over before the drop into the -2.5km trough. It's a great place for a base!

(The new Glideslope 2.x for Orbiter 2016 can land you there, btw.)

SpaceCowboyJoe

Reaction score
Yeah come in from the West or WSW, and you have a 3-4km hill to get over before the drop into the -2.5km trough. It's a great place for a base!

(The new Glideslope 2.x for Orbiter 2016 can land you there, btw.)

Actually i just discovered how easy it's the final brake in a moon landing using burn time calculator combined with retro-engine.
you have just to take care of vertical speed... that hill was not a big problem but rather a fancy distraction :thumbup:

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com

Why wait?

WE HAVE THE XR2!

:cheers: