Idea Cargo Trailers

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Those of you that have followed the development of my aircraft tug would know that I managed to get a pretty good simulation of the towing action.

I am wondering if others would like a) A generic class that allows multiple trailers and/or b) An articulated truck for carrying cargo?

I don't have any more information other than a few ideas, but I am quite happy to take suggestions on what I should do with the technology.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Those of you that have followed the development of my aircraft tug would know that I managed to get a pretty good simulation of the towing action.

I am wondering if others would like a) A generic class that allows multiple trailers and/or b) An articulated truck for carrying cargo?

I don't have any more information other than a few ideas, but I am quite happy to take suggestions on what I should do with the technology.

Well UCGO support for some Orbiter truckin' would be an obvious must-have. :p

Actually, something like that would work really well for an idea I struggled to realize a while ago. When I was first new to add-on development, I thought that it would be really cool to make a set of lunar UCGO cars. That never materialized, but having a set of towable lunar modules & a tow truck would be really interesting IMO.

:hailprobe:

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I am in need of tow cart for my Jason Launchsite.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
Something like a flatbed trailer that could be used with the SSC Cargo Pack([ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6226"]here[/ame]) popped into my mind, although I don't use that addon often enough. Maybe you could make a few flatbeds ranging from ~20ft trailers to ~40ft and ~60ft, a few lowboys a varying lengths, and with user configurable attachment points so when the fancy strikes we could put most anything on them? I also second Bruce's idea: some sort of lunar exploration train with a few flatbeds for cargo+whatnot and a space caravan for the UMMUs.

Interceptor

Reaction score
Here's a pic of a more futuristic flatbed,I thought it looks kinda cool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
More pics

Attachments

• 917790a21e2864847fe4a72nv3.jpg
    917790a21e2864847fe4a72nv3.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 9
  • strick_cab_under_by_mechanicman-d35d0vb.jpg
    strick_cab_under_by_mechanicman-d35d0vb.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 13
  • steinwinter_02_resized.jpg
    steinwinter_02_resized.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 11

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I'd like to see a flatbed but I'd also like it to be able to haul a DG or XR-2 around the place.

With PennyBlack and Loru's crane systems, woo482 and pennyblacks cargo systems and Loru's ships we'll soon be able to simulate world freight movements. :lol:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Orbiter Transport Tycoon?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Could you just make it without a vehicle? So you could attach it to whatever truck and what ever trailer. So you let the user worry about the vehicles.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Could you just make it without a vehicle? So you could attach it to whatever truck and what ever trailer. So you let the user worry about the vehicles.

That could be possible, but probably out of my skill set at the moment.
There would be a fair amount of overlap with UCGO, but that might not be a bad thing.

This is still in the concept stage so any thing is possible.

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com

Your tug is a nice little tool and is worth developing tl8.

a) A generic class that allows multiple trailers and/or b) An articulated truck for carrying cargo?

The thought of multiple trailers is a good idea. I enjoy trains and try to watch those Aussies on TV who drive those wagon tains that can haul a fair number of cargo tailers over the continent, so that's a nice idea. I for one would have a number of them just crawling over from A to B on the Lunar surface making deliveries. Imagine having an auto Long/Lat goto; then stop.
b) An articulated truck for carrying cargo?

I'd enjoy having a flatbed cargo truck to toy with too. I think it would be a very good little addon. A crane can be limited on placement areas and dropping cargo from the XR series can be hap hazzard or best guess, so fitting a truck with a limited grapple range, snatching the 20ft/40 cargo either from a crane, directly from the floor or XR cargo bay would be fantastic.
What environment would be ideal for such a truck if not on Earth, could a mini series of vehicle meshes be designed that function on the same code offering different models for operations on the Lunar or Marian surface for example.
How hard is the creation of catapillar tracks for such terrain thats found in those hostile conditions or would wheels be used as a standard.

I've never seen a 60ft cargo container in Orbiter. I didn't know you could have one.!!! :confused:

---------- Post added at 10:47 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

Here's a pic of a more futuristic flatbed,I thought it looks kinda cool.

I like this one very much. Suitable for Lunar and Martian operations.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Your tug is a nice little tool and is worth developing tl8.

Thank you. Development is not finished, but in a bit of a hiatus until a VC is done.

The thought of multiple trailers is a good idea. I enjoy trains and try to watch those Aussies on TV who drive those wagon tains that can haul a fair number of cargo tailers over the continent, so that's a nice idea. I for one would have a number of them just crawling over from A to B on the Lunar surface making deliveries. Imagine having an auto Long/Lat goto; then stop.
They are less fun when you are trying to get past and the rear trailer is whipping about.

I'd enjoy having a flatbed cargo truck to toy with too. I think it would be a very good little addon. A crane can be limited on placement areas and dropping cargo from the XR series can be hap hazzard or best guess, so fitting a truck with a limited grapple range, snatching the 20ft/40 cargo either from a crane, directly from the floor or XR cargo bay would be fantastic.
What environment would be ideal for such a truck if not on Earth, could a mini series of vehicle meshes be designed that function on the same code offering different models for operations on the Lunar or Marian surface for example.
How hard is the creation of catapillar tracks for such terrain thats found in those hostile conditions or would wheels be used as a standard.
Tracks are possible, but a bit harder than wheels (notably because I already have working wheels)

I've never seen a 60ft cargo container in Orbiter. I didn't know you could have one.
53ft is typically the largest container length particularly in the US rail network. It has its mounting points at the 40ft mark.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does the trailer just attach? Then you could use your vehicle + another trailer?

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
I've never seen a 60ft cargo container in Orbiter. I didn't know you could have one.!!! :confused:

I might have made that up. I haven't seen a 60ft cargo container either, and as far as I know a trailer sized to carry one might not exist. A 60 ft trailer seemed like a useful thing to have if you have to move three 20ft containers, or one 40ft and one 20ft container, or small spaceplane, and so I suggested it. Sorry if I caused confusion.

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
There's no confusion, just new concepts. I haven't stopped thinking about it actually. 60ft, imagine how packets of Digestive biscuits you can ferry to the Moon in one of those. :lol:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think maybe a flat bed trailer. That is ucgo. Then you could load it up and have the tug pull it.

The real trick would to get the wheel to turn as the trailer was rolling. If you didn't want that than just a mesh and a cfg for UCGO is all you would need