Question cell phone text messaging

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Anyone on the forum here have unlimited text messaging?

From this site I found you can e-mail to cell phones. I don't have a cell phone with unlimited texting (or a cell at all for that matter) so I don't know if the company will charge something extra because of it.

Anyone have any incite on this?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Anyone on the forum here have unlimited text messaging?

From this site I found you can e-mail to cell phones. I don't have a cell phone with unlimited texting (or a cell at all for that matter) so I don't know if the company will charge something extra because of it.

Anyone have any incite on this?
What sort of insight are you looking for? I'd imagine that if you don't have unlimited texting, you'll just be charged normal text-messaging rates.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
What sort of insight are you looking for? I'd imagine that if you don't have unlimited texting, you'll just be charged normal text-messaging rates.

OK, my friend said that he has unlimited texting with the same carrier. (Verizon)...but only 200 text messages with someone outside Verizon.

I am wondering if

(a) e-mail/IM counts as 'other' or as a Verizon to Verizon message.
(b) Even if you do have unlimited messaging for any carrier, would they charge you a 'special fee' just because?

I ask (b) because I saw once that someone was charged $2/MB for internet browsing. I just want to avoid any unnecessary costs if I can.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
OK, my friend said that he has unlimited texting with the same carrier. (Verizon)...but only 200 text messages with someone outside Verizon.
Interesting, I've never heard of a plan like that. Makes sense, though.

(a) e-mail/IM counts as 'other' or as a Verizon to Verizon message.
What happens is that it gets turned into an SMS message for your phone. As for whether it counts as other or in-network, I'd imagine "other."
(b) Even if you do have unlimited messaging for any carrier, would they charge you a 'special fee' just because?

I ask (b) because I saw once that someone was charged $2/MB for internet browsing. I just want to avoid any unnecessary costs if I can.
I doubt it. Browsing from your phone and receiving texts are usually two totally different enchiladas. The site you linked just sends an SMS to your phone, which is received just like any other SMS. It doesn't require you to browse anywhere.

That said, I would recommend testing it out by yourself for a few messages (and looking at your bill to see what it counts as) before advertising this method of contacting you.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This is interesting, I didn't know you could do this. It makes sense, though.
From AIM you can also send an instant message to a cell phone number (I don't remember the formatting, but my roommate's done it) and it'll show up as a text message. It's really annoying to receive one though, because AOL puts a header on it that takes up a whole text message, and a trailer that takes up another one, so even if my friend sends me a message under the 140 character SMS limit I end up receiving 3 text messages.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
LOL, AOL is still around! Wierd Al's song "All About the Pentiums" had a line about "brain-dead AOLr's". Awesome.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
LOL, AOL is still around! Wierd Al's song "All About the Pentiums" had a line about "brain-dead AOLr's". Awesome.
AIM isn't bad at all and that's how I talk to 90% of my friends. AOL, on the other hand...

My excuse is that I got it from my dad.

Reaction score
Here in the Philippines we got unlimited texting, available for 1 day or 1 week at most, charge depends on how long you register

ooops i forgot, we also have 1 month untld texting.

sock

Reaction score
Check out FishText.com. It's a java app that you download to your phone which allows you to send text messages over your phones GPRS rather than SMS. All messages are just over €0.01.
Receiving an email on your mobile phone is just annoying so i gave that up ages ago and found this! :)