News Challenger - 25 years since the last flight

rocketdued

Reaction score
remembering the challenger.

i concur with that. just look at the columbia.

rocketdued

Reaction score
News Challenger - 25 years since the last flight Reply to Thread

amen to that. SiberianTiger thats cool with the candles. farewell challenger. may you rest in peace.

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
They shall be remembered forever. I don't understand why the flight wasnt stopped. It was very icy that morning:
picture.php

rocketdued

Reaction score
HOLEY :censored: i wouldn't have okayed the shuttle for take off if i had seen that. way to think of the astronauts safety there nasa:facepalm:

rocketdued

Reaction score
oh ok. thats good. but i was decussing this with a family member. why wasn't the launch postponed untill a warmer weather day?

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Because it was already delayed a lot. besides that, NASA wanted to show that the shuttle was capable of launching in that weather.. There were a lot of people who said that she couldn't launch but they did launch and we all know how it ended.

btw. on spaceflight now is a special webcast to remember the accident

rocketdued

Reaction score
ah ok. showing off got them in trouble. never show off no matter what. it ends badly.

DoyleChris

Reaction score
Challenger happened on my 6th birthday and every year when i celebrate my birthday i always think of the crew.

Tycho

Reaction score
DoyleChris: Well, then, happy birthday today!

Anyways, my thoughts go out to all astronauts and cosmonauts: past, present, and future. Anyone who can stay on the frontier of human achievement and build international relationships in space, all the while endangering their own lives, and have a great time doing it automatically has my respect.

rocketdued

Reaction score
yeah happy birthday man:cheers:

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

well atleast when the crew died they died doing what they loved. and they didn't suffer. it happend so fast they didn't have time to suffer. i guess thats one way of looking at it.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
rocketdued, I wish that were true.. but the crew survived the initial breakup. Several emergency buttons on the PLT side were placed in emergency positions and several other indicators from the MS's that the crew knew what was going on. The crew might have been unconscious from the 2 minute fall thankfully.

That being said, in the book 'riding rockets' Mike Mullane provides a chilling view of what the alternative might have been if not in his personal view.

Rest in Peace Dick, Mike, Judy, El, Ron, Greg and Christa.