News Chandrayaan-2 mission news.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Sure.
I deleted those comments because I realized that :)
Probably tumbling but with 1 second telemetry sampling we only see it on random positions.
(strobe effect)

;)

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Does the Orbiter have capability to view the landing area?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xKJG00-S_c"]What We Know About India's Failed Lunar Landing - YouTube[/ame]

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Re: Chandrayaan-2 mission news

Hello everyone,

On 7 September, when I heard that the Vikram lander was failed to land, I was so overwhelmed that I could not eat much. :cry:

However, after some thinking, I found that despite the failure of the Vikram lander, it reached the lunar south pole regime! Yes, India becomes the first country to send anything on the surface of the lunar south pole regime! :salute:

After using Wikipedia, I found that the US would deliver some uncrewed landers and rovers to there.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
ISRO has announced they have located Vikram on the surface of the Moon. No word on the status of the lander, but given the fact that they're going to continue to attempt to establish communication with it for the next 14 days, I'd say there's a decent chance it's intact and upright!

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
ISRO will never communicate with the Vikram lander until 14 September, a full moon. ?

Full moon is the moment when the sun shines on the lunar south pole regime, and the solar panels of the lander may work.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850M using Tapatalk

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
:huh: Sounds like fake news or a translation problem.
Its likely that the Orbiter has imaged the landing area in high resolution. That was planned I think.
But an intact lander is impossible, since it crashed :(

Check Scott Manley video for a good analysis of the Doppler data and last known speed x altitude.

Last edited:

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Hello everyone,

On 7 September, when I heard that the Vikram lander was failed to land, I was so overwhelmed that I could not eat much. :cry:

However, after some thinking, I found that despite the failure of the Vikram lander, it reached the lunar south pole regime! Yes, India becomes the first country to send anything on the surface of the lunar south pole regime! :salute:

After using Wikipedia, I found that the US would deliver some uncrewed landers and rovers to there.

I think LCROSS beat it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCROSS

Nope. I was wrong. The Chandrayaan-1 impactor got there first and closer to the pole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrayaan-1

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Even on the moon, impacting with 58 m/s (200 km/h) should be very hard.

I know how a car looks like after colliding side first with a tree at mere 160 km/h, there is not much car (and occupant) left. I doubt the Indian lander will look much better now.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Been following the flow of fake news about this landing with much interest.
I think its the first time it happens for a space mission, at least on this scale.

Just take a look here:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=20324.msg1990973#new

Even specialized forums have nonsense speculation going around.
Any clue about what's happening here? Why target this mission in particular ?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Wait, what is the fake part again?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Even specialized forums have nonsense speculation going around.
Any clue about what's happening here? Why target this mission in particular ?

Sure this is fake news and not just "lost in translation"?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Wait, what is the fake part again?
This has been mentioned:
- A thermal image showing the probe
- It landed unbroken but tilted
- Unexpected lunar gravity
- No communications because the antenna is not pointing at Earth / orbiter

Yes, it could be bad translation. But Japanese missions also suffer from that...
I just don't remember seeing so much odd stuff related to a single mission.:hmm:

Anyway, lets wait for official information.

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
NASA Probe to Fly Over India's Moon-Landing Site Tuesday

https://www.space.com/india-moon-lander-flyover-nasa-lro.html

I've been fine tuning a scenario to predict when LRO next passed near (about 4-5 km) the center of the primary landing ellipse...and came up with 2019/09/17, 13:41 UT.

From the linked article:

The Chandrayaan-2 orbiter has spotted Vikram from above, and mission controllers continue to try establishing communications with the craft, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) officials announced last week. But updates have been few and far between, and ISRO has not yet published any photos of Vikram on the lunar surface.

I wonder if ISRO will publish tomorrow and beat NASA...

Linguofreak

Reaction score

English is a national language of India, so it's likely that much of the information we're getting has not been translated (though some people in ISRO may speak English natively and others as a second language, so the degree to which they say what they intend to say may vary), at least when we're looking at English-language news on the subject.

---------- Post added 09-17-19 at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was 09-16-19 at 23:35 ----------

This has been mentioned:
- A thermal image showing the probe

This I find at least halfways plausible.

- It landed unbroken but tilted

I don't find this credible at all, though the impact velocity from the altitude at which things went wonky is low enough that I could see the debris being all in one pile and maintaining enough cohesion to look intact from orbit.

- Unexpected lunar gravity

I'm not sure what is meant here.

- No communications because the antenna is not pointing at Earth / orbiter

Halfways plausible, depending on the nature of the power source. I could imagine an RTG surviving a crash at those velocities, and if nothing pulled out or severed electrical wires, solid-state electronics tends to be fairly impact-resistant (heck, the printed circuit board was invented for use in proximity fuses for anti-aircraft shells. Being fired out of a gun is equivalent to a crash at a km/s or so, much harder than the impact in this case), so the probe's computer might still be operating. I think there's also a good chance the antenna would have survived and might still have power, though it almost certainly would not be pointed in the correct direction. As such, there's a non-negligible chance that communication could be reestablished. Note, however, that this does not mean that we'd be able to get any more information out of the probe other than "I can still recognize and respond to communications". Any experiments or sensors that rely on moving parts are almost certainly inoperative, and while most solid state equipment will have physically survived, the chances of any given power or data connection not having been cut in the crash is probably 50/50 at best.

That said, a lot of this sounds like ISRO trying to save face.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
English is a national language of India, so it's likely that much of the information we're getting has not been translated (though some people in ISRO may speak English natively and others as a second language, so the degree to which they say what they intend to say may vary), at least when we're looking at English-language news on the subject.

From what I can tell from observing my Indian coworkers, English is just lingua franca in India, but many Indians constantly translate it into their own Indian local language and back all the time in their mind.

Which is really annoying if you expect them to translate German into English mentally when learning German, and they actually don't.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
A friend of mine described it as "One nation divided by several common languages". Apparently people do speak english and hindi as common languages, but the dialects and accents vary greatly between regions making it really hard to understand.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
From what I can tell from observing my Indian coworkers, English is just lingua franca in India, but many Indians constantly translate it into their own Indian local language and back all the time in their mind.

Which is really annoying if you expect them to translate German into English mentally when learning German, and they actually don't.

I've heard of several cases of ethnic Indians raised in India that were native English speakers, and I personally know at least one Indian that reports that he learned English as his mother tongue in India (from birth to age six, when he moved to the US and started learning American English, I think he said). Granted, that's not a horribly common situation (on the order of 100k speakers in the whole country, according to a quick check of Wikipedia), but it seems to be reasonably common among the upper classes, and I'd expect the types of people who make statements for a space agency to be upper class.