News Chandrayaan-2 mission news.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
on the order of 100k speakers in the whole country, according to a quick check of Wikipedia

Just for comparison: The Indian tech company that owns my employer now, has already 143,900 employees (And its not even among the 20 biggest Indian companies)

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
That space.com article is mostly speculation...

Here's a more direct source about LROC imaging (from the same author :) ) :
https://www.leonarddavid.com/indias-moonshot-nasa-orbiters-ongoing-search-for-chandrayaan-2-lander/

Relevant statement from NASA:
“The LROC team will analyze these new images and compare them to previous images to see if the lander is visible (it may be in shadow or outside the imaged area). LRO will next fly over the landing site on October 14 when lighting conditions will be more favorable. NASA will make the results of the Sept. 17 flyover available as soon as possible after a necessary period of validation, analysis, and review.”

My take on this is that they have some lander candidates on the Sept. 17 image, but need the Oct. 14 to be certain. Makes sense to me :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
NASA has located the Vikram lander. It is there and there and there and over there and...

vikram_ejecta_1100px_scalebar.png

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/goddard/2019/vikram-lander-found/

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
If I understand it correctly, it was found on the original "shadowed" LROC image and then confirmed on the later ones.
I still don't understand all the noise about this landing (it was sideways, in shadow, strange moon gravity, etc). It's not the first lander to fail....

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Re: Chandrayaan-2 mission news (off-topic)

English is a national language of India.

You are misleading at that point, English is a second language of India, Bharat ka national language to Hindi hai.

Also, ISRO chairman rejected the NASA claim and said, "Our own orbiter had located Vikram lander. We had already declared that on our website, you can go back and see."

Source: https://www.indiatoday.in/amp/scien...ikram-lander-chandrayaan-2-1624919-2019-12-04

Addendum (2022/02/05): I have learned that there's no such thing as a national language in India. English and Hindi are the two official languages of India. Hindi is also one of the 22 scheduled languages of India, see language status in India.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You are misleading at that point, English is a second language of India, Bharat ka national language to Hindi hai.

As I understand it from my Indian coworkers (and my employer is now owned by a Indian tech company, there are a few more of them around now), English is the lingua franca for India.

mahdavi3d

Reaction score
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW-Abytzjl0"]302 Moved[/ame]

cannon_gray

Reaction score
India could become the fourth country to make a soft landing on the Moon, and the first to do so near its unexplored south pole.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Due to COVID-19, such a dream is about to shatter soon, including the dreams of sending Indians to space with indigenous tech. I have dreamt of colonising the Moon and Mars at the middle of the century, but COVID-19 pushed my dream to the end of the century. COVID-19 nearly flattened the curve of the exponential growth of technology.

Last edited:

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
in mission Chandrayaan-3 India is friends with Japan (Japanese will provide a rocket and a lunar rover)
You are confusing the planned Chandrayaan-3 mission with the proposed Lunar Polar Exploration Mission. Chandrayaan-3 will be launching this year on a GSLV rocket made by India, and it is the Lunar Polar Exploration Mission that would be launched with a Japanese rocket.

Chandrayaan-3 will be yet another Indian attempt to soft-land on the surface of the Moon and it would skip the orbiter part of the mission. If this mission is failed, according to sources, it would be a huge setback for the Indian human space program, despite the mission won't carry any humans onboard. The reason is that Gaganyaan (whose name sounds more like "aircraft" than "spacecraft" to me), which will launch after Chandrayaan-3, is designed to re-enter and land on an atmospheric planet like Earth, while Chandrayaan-3 will land on a celestial body without any atmosphere like the Moon.

Since the mission profile of Chandrayaan-2 and Chandrayaan-3 will be similar (except the latter won't carry any orbiter), we can use the Chandrayaan-2 add-on to simulate Chandrayaan-3.

Last edited: