github.com
Maybe 20 minutes to the next one:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
It went up, then down and landed.... small fire on the ground, but no boom... yet

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
Well, success means different things to different people. I was halfway expecting it to RUD and the launch mount to be obliterated. 31 out of 33 engines working properly with the launch mount still intact is definitely progress, so I'd call it a success.

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
Folks, I'm sharing the absolute best animation that I've seen of the Starship program. It really is movie quality.

SPOILERS (read below after watching):

From what I've read regarding the orbital flight test: the booster won't be caught by the chopsticks, Starlinks won't be deployed by the so-called "Pez dispenser", Starship is supposed to hit the ocean intact rather than breaking apart during reentry (although that certainly is a possibility). IMO this is Pixar-level material and they got the basic gist of it right. I'm in awe.

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
FtPIjXbWcAUdpKT.jpg

I guess the size increase refers to the upper stage only. This will add some 500 ton of fuel.
By adding 3 Vacuum Raptors the weight increase is compensated. The initial acceleration
with full tanks even rises a little from 6 m/s (current size) to 8 m/s (increased size).

I wonder if
  • there is enough space in the Starships' engine compartment to accomodate 6 vacuum + 3 sea level Raptors
  • the SuperHeavy first stage needs to be increased as well, or if this is covered within the growth options

pushkin

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
View attachment 32919

I guess the size increase refers to the upper stage only. This will add some 500 ton of fuel.
By adding 3 Vacuum Raptors the weight increase is compensated. The initial acceleration
with full tanks even rises a little from 6 m/s (current size) to 8 m/s (increased size).

I wonder if
  • there is enough space in the Starships' engine compartment to accomodate 6 vacuum + 3 sea level Raptors
  • the SuperHeavy first stage needs to be increased as well, or if this is covered within the growth options
That's something I would say in KSP. Needs to be bigger and more engines. Only this guy is doing it for real. lol

diogom

Reaction score
Orbital flight (strategically called Integrated Flight Test) officially aiming at NET April 17, with no further testing and pending FAA:

That said, going to go ahead and guess they'll end up doing a wet dress anyway when the first attempt or two scrub late in the count.

Also newly posted is a mission profile and timeline. Seems to finally confirm the slightly suborbital trajectory with no de-orbit burn, with re-entry at L+1h17m if it survives that long.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Official live stream, starting in ~2h

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Live stream (hopefully) about to start...

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
T-40 minutes