CNC and CAD/CAM Help

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
To help jump-start this new sub-forum I'm offering help of CAD/CAM design work and in some cases at material cost CNC machining for people working on simpits. Any CAD/CAM or CNC work I do must be shared with others in this sub-forum to be available for all as reference. IMHO, that is a very small price to pay. ;)

IRL, I'm a Manufacturing Engineer who specializes in CATIA and MasterCAM CAD/CAM and have experience in SurfCAM, FeatureCAM, SolidWorks and AutoCAD. In my previous career I was a production artist, so I'm quite adept in the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc...) too. I have available for CNC machining a 50x50" waterjet and 3 axis VMC CNC and a manual engine lathe.

Feel free to post here any Orbiter simpit specific requests. :cheers:

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If you want to share plans, how do you think we can have a catalog and still protect our ideas from outside people commercializing them?

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
If you want to share plans, how do you think we can have a catalog and still protect our ideas from outside people commercializing them?

Attach a non-profit liscense to it. I have zero ethical problem with hobby builders reproducing anything I build. Others might have problems though and should liscense accordingly. There simply wouldn't be any money in an Orbiter simpit building business. I think that's the least of our worries. ;)

Frankly, I'm more interested in seeing more simpits, than worrying about people claiming my works as thier own. I know that is a bit idealistic, but I have no problems with that when it pertains to work I release. The Oribiter community has a keen eye and would know when someone would be unfairly claiming credit for something . IMHO, that's more than enough failsafe for anything I do.

I'm sure every builder has a stance on this issue and can help out according to thier stance. I don't expect many builders would adopt my stance. This is purely a hobby for me. I don't like to mix income with my enjoyment and hobbies. When legal and money matters get intertwined into a hobby it will ruin every ounce of fun in it.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Attach a non-profit liscense to it. I have zero ethical problem with hobby builders reproducing anything I build. Others might have problems though and should liscense accordingly. There simply isn't going to be huge money in an Orbiter simpit building business. I think that's the least of our worries. ;)
That sounds OK. I'll have to find the correct wording for personal educational, non-commercial use copyrights. I assume those that choose not to publish detailed drawings could still use your services, but that would be negotiated separately.