Question Control Linked Engine Gimbal for DG?

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was any variant of the DG out there with engine gimballing linked to the flight controls, in a fashion similar to the SU-37 and other super-maneuverability fighters?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWN3-s9ACpw"]Russian SU-37 Manuevers - YouTube[/ame]

I am aware of the toggle controls of the default DG - I was interested to know if anyone had ever linked the gimbals to the flight controls.

communist

Resident Crazy Person
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was any variant of the DG out there with engine gimballing linked to the flight controls, in a fashion similar to the SU-37 and other super-maneuverability fighters?

Russian SU-37 Manuevers - YouTube

I am aware of the toggle controls of the default DG - I was interested to know if anyone had ever linked the gimbals to the flight controls.
there was such an addon,though i dont remember what it was called

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2775"]Ta-dah! Here it is.[/ame]

It's for 060929 though.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Excellent. That add-on still works with 2010 P1. I just spent the last half hour crashing it all over KSC.

Thanks all!

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
The source code for the Stock DG is included in Orbiter's SDK linking to main engine gimbal to flight controls should only require some minor adjustments.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I had looked at the code and had thought about doing that, but I don't have the energy for even a minor coding project right now. I basically wanted to fly some cobras and goof around, that's about it.

Artlav's mod works, though the engine gimballing and exhaust streams aren't animated. I don't know if that is a 2006 / 2010 thing or not.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
For further enhanced manoeuvrability, use AutoRudder (Hielor).

Those two addons make the DG "fly by wire" as it should be :)

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Computerex's pack has a gimbling module, too. I had a look, and it's got a .ccp file that comes with it.

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Computerex's pack has a gimbling module, too. I had a look, and it's got a .ccp file that comes with it.

You have a link?

Something tells me that code might come in handy down the line.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Computerex's Add-on Pack - [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3508"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3508[/ame]

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score

Russian SU-37 Manuevers - YouTube

Do you reckon those pilots EVER go on theme park rides ????? !!!! :p

theflyingfish

Falling with Style
Reaction score
I asked for this a while back, but no-one seemed interested enough to make it. I thought it would be pretty neat to do the whole J-turn and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_maneuver"]Pugachev's Cobra[/ame] deal, and I think it would also help save a lot of RCS fuel while in high altitudes, because you could control by using the engines instead of the RCS. The original thread is here.

It's just kinda silly that all these ships have these fancy thrust vectoring systems, but nobody uses them because they have to be controlled from the panel.

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I asked for this a while back, but no-one seemed interested enough to make it. I thought it would be pretty neat to do the whole J-turn and Pugachev's Cobra deal, and I think it would also help save a lot of RCS fuel while in high altitudes, because you could control by using the engines instead of the RCS. The original thread is here.

It's just kinda silly that all these ships have these fancy thrust vectoring systems, but nobody uses them because they have to be controlled from the panel.

I tell you all what, I've already integrated engine gimballing into the controls of my own addon. Once it is in a moderately releasable state I'll look at doing the same for the DG.