Problem Converting 3DS Max multi-material objects to msh

technomage

Reaction score
I've been having some trouble converting a 3ds Max model to a msh file. I'm using 3D Studio Max 9 32-bit and I downloaded a great script called max2msh by Alexander Blass. I ran the script and it gave me an error:

MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception
-- Unknown property: "opacity" in #Multi/Sub-Object:Hanger(Standard:Material #98, Standard: Material #99, Standard:Material #100)

I did a search and found that the script can't handle multi-materials (it's in the readme, which I didn't read very well). The model definitely has multi-materials in it. I found another script called matid_detach by Christian Bauer. I ran it on all of the objects and it was able to separate them into their component parts.

I was sure this would fix it but when I run max2msh again, it comes up with the same error. What's really strange is one of the original multi-material object suddenly re-appears (which is what causes max2msh to choke) as objectname2. If I try deleting it, it comes back again as objectname3 (always after I run max2msh). I don't have a clue what's going on here.

I'm not that expert in 3D studio and the scripting language so any help would be appreciated in this. Thanks!

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Use 3ds2msh and 3ds2mshgui found at Orbit Hangar. This works like a charm, for me at least.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
the script really doesn't support multi-materials.... i usually go around this by simply not using them, and splitting the mesh into separate objects when different materials are required (which is how they're stored in the .msh file, anyways)

it's a little less convenient, indeed... but i find it not too big a deal to manage without that :cheers: