Converting a hobby rocket to use water?

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I've been wanting to get a hobby rocket for a while now, but there are a few problems. The biggest problems steming from the engines.
The engines are too expensive at ~$20 for 3 and my dad probably wont let me use them anyway.

So I am wondering if it would be possible to convert a rocket to use pressurised water, much like a bottle rocket.
Do you think this can be done?

So far the only problems I see with doing this are if you can get enough thrust to launch the rocket and how to deploy the parachute.
Any help with these problems appreciated.

Darren

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Bottles are the best pressure vessels. The ratio of Air to water also had the biggest effect on performance. Being able to launch reliably is key to safety.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Bottles are the best pressure vessels. The ratio of Air to water also had the biggest effect on performance. Being able to launch reliably is key to safety.
So... depends on the rocket?

Darren

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well, I fail to see how a (normal) paper rocket will be able to hold a 1.25L soft drink bottle...

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Well, I fail to see how a (normal) paper rocket will be able to hold a 1.25L soft drink bottle...
Paper?
Im not saying to put a full on bottle inside, just some other container that can hold pressure, bottles aren't the only kind you know?

Darren

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Are you talking about some sort of rocket modification so it can hold a pressurised C02 canister?

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Are you talking about some sort of rocket modification so it can hold a pressurised C02 canister?
I don't really care what is inside as long as it can hold pressurised water, then release the pressure to launch.

Darren

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Why not get a Saturday job and buy the motors yourself? Or wait a few years and join a rocketry club?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's a reason bottles are good pressure vessels; that's what they're designed for. A lot of pressure can build up inside a carbonated beverage bottle...