Converting B-V, V-R, B-R to RGB

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
There's tons of data for the color of minor bodies in the solar system, usually given in the form of B-V, and V-R values, and sometimes a B-R values given as well (which I've noticed is just B-V + V-R). In my strive to make my add-ons as realistic as possible, I want to write a program that takes these values and outputs them in RGB format to use in Orbiter, so I can get the colours of the minor planets I make just right. However, I'm having trouble finding information about the B-V/V-R format, and just exactly what the values mean, how they relate to each each, and how they relate to the brightness value (if at all). The most I've been able to gather, is that they relate to the B, V, and R standard filters used on telescopes, but that doesn't exactly tell me much.

Anybody able to help me with this?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I don't think UBV is very good for representing apparent color. For one, you'll be dealing with the spectrum that isn't even visible (the V component stands for the visible range as a whole) besides the limited gamut of RGB. UBV doesn't seem like it would hold much value outside of scientific implications.
I think you'll just have to search harder for direct RGB values or else get creative. Developers of addons and graphics clients seem to do both. (realistic representation is sometimes bland)

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Just found a thing. :p
http://www.science-bbs.com/16-astro/f276016b19867881.htm

Let me say that even converting a specific frequency of light to RGB is just...'wrong'.

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Let me say that even converting a specific frequency of light to RGB is just...'wrong'.

I know very much how you feel, unfortunately B-V and V-R values seem to be just about all I can get to reference colour, so I'm stuck working with what I have.

With that said, I have found some additional information, and already have a working program now, that is outputting colours. Albiet, I'm not 100% sure they are the right colours :lol:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Just use the BV VR values for stars and then use their spectra as guidance.

You can also find some data for Jupiter's satellites and a think the major asteroids. You generally have proper "real color" references for those bodies. So use that to calibrate whatever values your software is outputting.