Meshing Question Converting to .msh with textures

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
I guess the title of this thread is a bit misguiding, the question is that when converting your 3D model (I use Anim8or) to a .msh file for Orbiter how does the converter handle the textures?

:sos:
Once I, after modifying a simple plane from Ar81's Tutorial, converted to .msh. and played with it on Orbiter. That aeroplane was "painted" inside Anim8or and I used transparencies, emissive colour and normal green colour, but with no outer texture and it showed up correctly in Orbiter. For my new AddOn I'm using environmental texture, bumpmap texture and texture instead of the diffuse colour. I guessing that this time it won't be so easy has with the plane. What should I expect and how to make it work after converting the 3D model?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Use 3ds2msh. It preserves the textures. If that is happening to where your textures show up inside that means you need to flip the normals. Also, what do you mean after you aredone convverting it how to make it work? Do you mean the configuration file?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
For my new AddOn I'm using environmental texture, bumpmap texture and texture instead of the diffuse colour. I guessing that this time it won't be so easy has with the plane. What should I expect and how to make it work after converting the 3D model?
Orbiter supports neither environmental textures nor bump map textures.

Use 3ds2msh. It preserves the textures. If that is happening to where your textures show up inside that means you need to flip the normals. Also, what do you mean after you aredone convverting it how to make it work? Do you mean the configuration file?
Did you even read what he posted?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Orbiter supports neither environmental textures nor bump map textures.

Did you even read what he posted?
I did read what he said, but got confused. I read over a line.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com

3ds2msh has a problem with the conversion of materials.
Diffuse is exported as ambient, and diffuse, specular and emissive data are lost.

I have been conducting intensive experiments in recent days and I found that using Dennis Krenz's Anim8or script is the best tool, since either if conversion is not absolutely perfect, it makes a better work (preserves more data, and converts it better) when compared to 3ds2msh or MshMaker.

I also realized that if you have a 3DS file, it is better to use Anim8or to convert to .msh format.

Keep up the good work, Dennis!!:cheers::speakcool:

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah. I always use his exporter. Isn't Dennis Krenz, Urwumpe?