OHM Copernicus & Apollo 19

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: 4th rock

This add-on features realistic terrain for the Copernicus crater on the Moon. It is presented in a way that you have a relatively large flat area (Orbiter limitation) where you can land and drive.

The area covered by terrain mesh is the entire crater, with extra detail around the central peaks. Some surface features were placed to provide interesting destinations for EVAs, based on the actual geology of the region.

The provided scenarios use AMSO to recreate the proposed Apollo 19 mission. They are generic and the orbital trajectories are not optimized regarding fuel or mission duration. 

Anyhow, I think I've remained within realistic parameters for a late Apollo mission. 
Let’s say after Apollo 17 all the hardware as updated and can perform a little bit better.

To give that impression, I'm including a CMS repaint with the white Skylab paint scheme. There’s also a small update to LC39 ground texture that now resembles the actual ground cover in the 1960/70s.

I've added some normal maps for the Saturn V rocket and the LEM 's gold foil, for the benefit of those using modern graphic clients.

Notice:
Two AMSO textures are overwritten - the ground texture for KSC and the CSM is now the white "Skylab" version.

Required: 
AMSO add-on.

Read the docs for more information.

DOWNLOAD

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
e6af7209_40b96f717103244d7d9dea023de22820619058efade0a529f2938430963ed6c7.jpeg

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Love it!

You should try to make an Apollo 21 mission to Gassendi once you're done with Apollo 20 with two Saturn IB rockets seeing as there wouldn't have been an Saturn V for it.

A good crew would be Ken Mattingly (CDR), Bruce McCandless (CMP), and Joe Engle (LMP).

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Thanks all. It looks good because the crater floor is quite flat in reality. Also there's a good LROC mosaic available and that helps to give a good sense of scale and reality to the geology.

Apollo 20 goes to Tycho, but lands near the rim. You will be able to drive near the crater's edge and look inside. Surveyor 7 site will also be featured as an alternative landing site.
It's not as seamless as Copernicus but still nice and different.

Beyond that I don't know for sure. AMSO doesn't allow for much more.

One interesting thing would be to have two LEMs. One with crew, another landed far away with resupply and a second Rover, allowing the crew to rest and continue further on the next day. AAPO looks like the right tool for this, must look into it.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I have a question 4throck.

Given the quality of this, your Apollo 18 pack, and your excellent base improvement pack. Why is your user name still blue?

Go to this place and get thee a tag my friend. :lol:

Seriously though, excellent work.

:tiphat:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Thanks for the kind words and suggestion.

Personally, I don't like badges or ranks that much in something that is hobbie related.
Nothing against people who use them, though :) I'm a big fan of Star Trek and everybody there has a rank and badge :)

On a more serious note, some past discussions with a few developers (with many badges) that criticized my addons for not being up to standard (no custom code), made me lose most of the credit for the "developer community".

After that, I changed my title from "addon apprentice" to "enthusiast" and that's what best describes me.

Simply I don't care. I don't even do development threads anymore, I just release the add-ons and get feedback directly from the people that care :thumbup:

And on a more positive note, Apollo 20 is moving along nice:)