Internet "Cosmos" sequel trailer now up!

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score

Ooooooh. Yes, this happened. But I didn't take it to be a conspiracy. It happened right at the end of an ad break, just as Neil began to talk, so I assumed someone somewhere accidentally hit a button that ran the 15 second "News at 9" preview that already ran sometime earlier. I did freak out a little because I was very excited to watch this show but relaxed when all I missed was a few seconds. I forgot to look up what those seconds contained.

No way to verify any of this, but:
http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/2058cu/okc_fox_affiliate_accidentally_cuts_human/cg01864

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Well, I saw the episode on my local National Geographic Channel (http://natgeotv.com/pt) and I don't remember any mention to evolution.... I must check the recording, can someone give me a time reference?

Could it be that the international version is "censored"? That's just odd.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I like the line "COSMOS is our gateway drug".

I certainly hope so. As many people brag about Murica being the best at x. I'd like nothing more than NDT to inspire a new generation of scientists to start pounding on the gates of institutions of higher learning and forcing them to admit the "new" class because of their drive and determination, instead of the size of their checkbooks.

I'll have to stop on that note because if I don't I'll wind up with some sort of manifesto. But I think most of you guys (and girls) will understand what I mean.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I REALLY liked this episode.

NdGT just told it how it is, and approached the evolution thing head-on.

Oh, and Titan. :)

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Wikipedia says today was also the premiere in many parts of the world.

And I was hoping/expecting talk of Europa instead of Titan.

Unstung

Reaction score
The recent episode started out simple and I felt like it was appealing to a common denominator. It also placed a strong emphasis on animal life which is just a branch in the domain Eukaryota. I was pleased with how the episode transitioned to astrobiology and dem tardigrades, but astrobiology is a huge subject and could have its own episode. Fortunately, the field's ideas can be spread out through the series due to its interdisciplinary nature. Titan is a better analog to Earth than Europa and is a more appropriate location to introduce the concept of life on other worlds. Europa will probably be focused on in later episodes. The ending of this episode, as in the last, makes a strong homage to the original series, something I suspect will be a trend.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Episode 2 was indeed VERY good. Perhaps the best simple explanation to natural selection I've ever seen. Also liked the way extinctions were presented. That's what the effects are for. Really good show.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The first episode seemed to be an homage to Dr. Sagan. The episode begins and ends with NdGT at the same spot where Sagan launched COSMOS all those years ago.

It was a fitting tribute, and Neil tells an anecdote about meeting Sagan when he (Neil) was just a boy.

Unstung

Reaction score
The latest episode focused on the story of Isaac Newton and Edmond Halley. I think it was well done and continues to give a good background on where science came from and its importance, but I don't recall any new information in episode 3 that couldn't have been in the original show (maybe except the idea of the Milky Way and Andromeda merging). There is one small problem that I have with the episode, it seemed to suggest that Halley knew about galaxies when it discussed the motion of stars. I didn't notice any reference to Carl Sagan in this episode.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
This episode (already begun) features the voice of Patrick Stewart (Picard).

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
"Make it so!" - William Herschel upon the discovery of Uranus.

:)

Unstung

Reaction score
The Sagan reference was only at the very end so it's forgivable. The material covered involving Einstein and relativity was presented in a very similar way to the original series, although the original seemed to spend more time on relativity and explained it more clearly for those who are unfamiliar with it. The part on black holes involves newer information, but I feel that its knowledge will become obsolete soon. I think this episode was the heaviest on special effects and CGI so far.

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
Overall I like the way he presents. I think he speaks a bit too fast sometimes, doesnt let the effect sink in before racing on. Man on a mission !

I am not sure Hooke was as bad as he was presented in the 3rd episode though.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
"To believe in a universe as young as 6 or 7,000 years old is to extinguish the light from most of the galaxy. Not to mention the light from all the hundred billion other galaxies in the observable universe."