News COVID-19 pandemic

What will happen after the Corona epidemic?

• The population of Asia will be reduced, accelerating the sustainable development.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • The major civilizations will collapse.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The human race will end.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
America First

If it is true, then thank you Mr. President.

http://translate.google.com/transla...corona-impfstoff-von-tuebinger-firma-100.html

At first he lies and sleeps through the start of the epidemy in his homeland, then he acts like "all for me".
A possible vaccine, which is not yet in sight, has to be made available for all the world, no matter who developed it. Chinese scientists also work hard on finding one.

I hope, you all stay healthy :thumbup: (with one exception)

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
UK Foreign Office advises against all but essential travel to the US.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
One would think to find Corona project under "infectious diseases", but it's under "uncategorized" instead:

https://foldingathome.org/2020/02/27/foldinghome-takes-up-the-fight-against-covid-19-2019-ncov/

I'll put my pc at work. Let's unite OF members in this project!

...There is currently no way to select CORVID-19 but talking with some people it seems if you pick 'Any' for desired research it will priorities anything they have on it.

Edit (post FaH install): Now I see what you mean. You cannot select Coronavirus "inside" the program itself...

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I did just get back from vacation (cruise ship to Cozumel and Grand Cayman). The ship was probably only 3/4 capacity, the dining room and theatre are normally packed but were pretty sparse. Spent several hours Friday watching one press conference after another. I'm not a big fan of Andrew Cuomo, but he brought up some very good points (all ignored by the gen pop as I see it). Trust the facts, not the emotions. But we being humans are mostly emotional creatures.
"Passion governs, and she never governs wisely" - Ben Franklin

I have a headache with a sore throat.

Bradford Pears, not Coronavirus.

Anybody got a flamethrower?

Last edited:

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
My Computer seems to be too slow?

from the log:
13:51:13:WU01:FS01:Assigned to work server 140.163.4.241
13:51:13:WU01:FS01:Requesting new work unit for slot 01: READY gpu:0:GK208 [GeForce GT 710 LP] from 140.163.4.241
13:51:13:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 140.163.4.241:8080
13:51:13:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '18.218.241.186:80': No WUs available for this configuration
13:51:13:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Could not get an assignment

Last edited:

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
What is your temperature? Have you travelled to or are in a known contagion area. Have you been in contact with anyone diagnosed with coronavirus?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51048366

I have no fever (safe 98.5). I have never traveled beyond India. On 8 March, I was in contact with my grandmother diagnosed not with COVID-19, but with a cough and cold.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like you have caught a cold! Keep checking the symptoms and follow your local health-care advice.
I know I am.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
14:16
Breaking
Germany 'to close some borders'
From Monday, Germany will close its land borders with Austria, France and Switzerland to curb the spread of coronavirus, local media report.
The decision has not yet been announced by Germany's government.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-51895276

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
My Computer seems to be too slow?

from the log:
13:51:13:WU01:FS01:Assigned to work server 140.163.4.241
13:51:13:WU01:FS01:Requesting new work unit for slot 01: READY gpu:0:GK208 [GeForce GT 710 LP] from 140.163.4.241
13:51:13:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 140.163.4.241:8080
13:51:13:WARNING:WU00:FS00:Failed to get assignment from '18.218.241.186:80': No WUs available for this configuration
13:51:13:ERROR:WU00:FS00:Exception: Could not get an assignment

Temporary server outages

So many new people signing up they ran out of available work units.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Nvidia's calling on gaming PC owners to put their systems to work fighting COVID-19

I already do folding for EVGA points. There is currently no way to select CORVID-19 but talking with some people it seems if you pick 'Any' for desired research it will priorities anything they have on it.

giphy.gif

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-03-15 194236.png
    Annotation 2020-03-15 194236.png
    367.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
When we initially embarked, we had a health survey to complete. Basically "do you have (or were you exposed to someone with) a fever, and other questions similar. I suppose if someone lied on the survey they could be on the hook for something if it were to become rampant on the ship. We also had our temps taken right before boarding.

We've been cruising for 16 years now. The Noro Virus has long been a "thing" around the cruise industry. The basic precautions are the same as for most other things.

If we had been quarantined, I've got about 1100 hours of sick time accumulated. Not everyone is so lucky though.

We have a refueling outage next month. Not looking forward to the threat of Covid virus in conjunction with the regular creeping-contractor-crud that circulates around every outage.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I am currently caring for my 95 Year old grandfather, who has multiple chronic conditions. I am terrified of what will happen if he or anyone in the household gets it. What is not helping is all the doom and gloom and misinformation in the press that is stressing him out, which is stressing me.

Today's stress was the panic buying in news reports, even though he knows that we are well prepared (thanks to Brexit).
Tomorrow's will be about medication, blood tests and appointments.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
We have a refueling outage next month. Not looking forward to the threat of Covid virus in conjunction with the regular creeping-contractor-crud that circulates around every outage.

Is it possible that the outage might be extended and the refueling delayed? Could they pare things down to just the security guards and a few people do whatever monitoring and maintenance is required even in shutdown?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
We can pare down to something like we have on midnight shift. A lot of the paper pushers can work from home, but the maintenance has to be done. Security can't relax at all, they get pretty heavy graded/regulated by the powers that be. Ops has to be staffed at a certain level (by NRC regs)

Can't delay the outage because of the fuel expenditure. They can downpower and stretch it out, but then the grid doesn't have that power available.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Can't delay the outage because of the fuel expenditure. They can downpower and stretch it out, but then the grid doesn't have that power available.

I was talking about the latter: take the plant off grid and delay the *refueling* (thereby extending the outage from just a refueling outage to a death-cootie-avoidance-and-refueling outage).

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I'm upset. I literally just graduated college with my BA in Physics after 7 years of absolute grinding. I got a job at a planetarium presenting the night sky to the general public. I moved away from Florida to Illinois. It's every orbitnaut's dream. But we've closed to the public indefinitely and my job doesn't really have any online aspects to it, so I'm facing layoff. Worse, it appears the stock market is crashing full-on 2008 style and I'm a thousand miles away from all of my friends and family while a global pandemic is going on.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now its official, we are switching to home office where possible at work. No big problem for an IT company. Sadly, I am among the "not possible group" this week, I have to work with customers hardware on some days.

My English training at work also got cancelled. I waited months for it, because I wanted to take the chance to work on my horrible pronounciation when speaking English. Had one great first training last week, but now its cancelled for a while. I have a C2 level certificate, but I really don't sound like it when speaking English.

My after-work university studies also got affected mildly by the virus. While already taking place via WWW and online conferences, we still used to have lectures in classroom on the weekend. Now cancelled until late April. This will be a strange final semester.

Situation summary this monday: Even if it looks bad with over 4000 infected by now, the civilization did not break down yet. We learn, we adapt, we survive.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Measures are going up globally to slow down the virus and make the number of serious cases manageable.
Here the authorities expect an increase in infection numbers until April....

The problem is not the number of infected or the effects of the virus, it's the increased pressure on health systems that are already saturated.

Status
Not open for further replies.