News COVID-19 pandemic

What will happen after the Corona epidemic?

• The population of Asia will be reduced, accelerating the sustainable development.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • The major civilizations will collapse.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The human race will end.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Except that it isn't over yet in China.

Not quite, but close enough. New case numbers are in the single to low double digits per day, down from a peak of nearly 4k per day in early February, and the number of active cases has dropped significantly. My 90 day figure may be on the low side for total duration, depending on what you count as the beginning and end, but the numbers out of China certainly rule out a peak at 300 days in a given nation (and likely also the 6 million infected figure from the Modi-SARS scenario).

It's not panic to implement quarantine measures in response to Covid, it is panic to treat the Modi-SARS scenario as applicable without adjusting it to match the behavior of the actual virus.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sooo... If I got that study right, we might be looking forward to a year or more of standstill? That would be very concerning...

Yes. 360 days of social distancing in the simulation. Unless we are lucky and less days are necessary to get the infection down. But right now, we have not seen the first peak yet.

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

Not quite, but close enough.

I want to wait two weeks before I celebrate, I hope you understand. The chinese reacted very harshly to the virus and isolated the country well - but the virus could still have its reservior.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Sooo... If I got that study right, we might be looking forward to a year or more of standstill? That would be very concerning...

I'd estimate 2 or 3 months of strict quarantine measures, and then maybe another month or two of milder measures. A year isn't supported by the data we're seeing on the behavior of the real-life virus that we're actually dealing with. That's not to say that is impossible for a SARS-like Coronavirus to match the Modi-SARS scenario, just that this particular virus is very unlikely to match that scenario. The scenario that we're actually presented with is bad enough, though.

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 ----------

I want to wait two weeks before I celebrate, I hope you understand. The chinese reacted very harshly to the virus and isolated the country well - but the virus could still have its reservior.

We'll see. China has some options that western governments don't have, but they also have weaknesses that western governments don't have.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
It's probably to avoid riots, specially from family members that are on the outside.
Another example of the disruptive effect of this virus.
Exactly what we had going on for some days in Italy.

---------- Post added at 15:33 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

...And surprisingly it is almost precisely following the scheme of a fictional virus called "Modi-SARS" which was used in 2013 to check the civil protection mechanisms in Germany for such a fictional scenario...
That's rather worrying.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Re: Epidemic of coronavirus

covid19_statistics_960x0.jpg

The above graph shows how coronavirus on 2020 affect more people than the influenze on 2018-19. However, the epidemic of coronavirus is "nowhere near as widespread as previous epidemics such as swine flu or the Spanish flu":

Source: Forbes and Snopes.com

Interesting fact

Although the flu of 1918 is called "Spanish flu", it is not originated on Spain.

Last edited:

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Interesting fact

Although the flu of 1918 is called "Spanish flu", it is not originated on Spain.

Specifically, it was thought to have originated in Spain because Spain was one of the earlier countries it hit that wasn't a belligerent in WWI. The belligerents all censored news of it to keep up morale.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, hell just froze over, Wisconsin ordered the closing of bars and sitdown restaurants!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, hell just froze over, Wisconsin ordered the closing of bars and sitdown restaurants!

You think this is still possible for hell to freeze over? Guess what Ireland did on St Patricks Day...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
BBC has suspended continuous drama productions(soaps to you and me). Also, suspending audience shows.
Rest of UK broadcast channels doing much the same.
Quite a hit to the industry, though its been casualised for some years now.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Shows here were suspended last Friday. That was really important for people to realize that this is serious. Specially older people.

Daytime TV shows are now based on Skype interviews, with the channels running with a skeleton crew.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Eurovision Song Contest definitely cancelled this year in Rotterdam.

Tragic, we were in with a good chance.

Also Glastonbury it seems.

Sellafield nuclear site is shutting down its magnox reactor.
Thought it was closed a few years ago?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Our Chancellorette will speak to the nation today. I doubt she will announce much bad news, but people are already fearing a full curfew of the country.

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Our Chancellorette will speak to the nation today. I doubt she will announce much bad news, but people are already fearing a full curfew of the country.
Curfew would have been rational already on friday. I think Macron did it better, and he has the advantage of a central government compared to our (german) federal organisation of the state.

To my taste the german curve shown here:
https://de.statista.com/statistik/d...ch-laendern-seit-erreichen-der-100-infektion/
looks too similar to Italy. France is less rampant and South Corea looks comme il faut. It's a pity they don't show Japan there.

The explanatory text is in german. The curves show the development of case numbers after the hundredth case.

Example from today:
Corona.png

Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Very interesting data. Is it absolute numbers or by population?
Good point. That's why I don't like those "meta-data sites", that require you to register when clicking on "sources"...
The data-source seems to be Johns Hopkins University, so one might have to look there for the numbers.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Hedge fund manager Bill Ackman is on CNBC right now giving perhaps the most emotional fear mongering speech I've ever heard.

The market is toast today, and probably double when the video/audio starts getting shared across the Internet.

I'm not saying he's even totally wrong, but he could not be trying harder to induce panic.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.